What's new

RT-AC68U as a bridge?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greg.Fundy

New Around Here
I have a remote observatory with no internet available. I currently use a Verizon hotspot for internet access. We are looking to install an automation system and weather station that has to be hardwired, cannot use wireless connection. Is it possible to use the ASUS RT-AC68U to receive my hotspot signal and then connect the ASUS to the automation and weather station systems? I am not familiar with routers nor the terminology but from what i have read it seems that some routers can use a bridge mode to accomplish what i need. Thank you for your help.

I have a remote observatory with no internet available. I currently use a Verizon hotspot for internet access. We are looking to install an automation system and weather station that has to be hardwired, cannot use wireless connection. Is it possible to use the ASUS RT-AC68U to receive my hotspot signal and then connect the ASUS to the automation and weather station systems? I am not familiar with routers nor the terminology but from what i have read it seems that some routers can use a bridge mode to accomplish what i need. Thank you for your help.
You can but you may have to use a custom firmware such as DD-WRT which does support the AC68U. There is an instruction on setting up a WiFi repeater with DD-WRT that should work. Years ago I traveled with a laptop that had no WiFi and used a Linksys WRT54G set up with DD-WRT. Would automatically connect to the strongest WiFi!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

If you've got a supported Verizon LTE/G3/G4 USB Cell modem, you can use ASUS AC68U out-of-the-box. I've even tethered my Android cell phone. Works pretty well once you get it set-up.

From what you've said, you need the router to act as a wireless client (as opposed to a repeater) and potentially a bridge, which should be entirely possible but I'm not sure out of the box. I think this is known as media bridge mode in the Asus firmware, which implies it should bridge (the hotspots network would be relayed to the wired ports).

I've done this with ubiquiti unifis and OpenWRT. The client access part was fine but adding the transparency of a bridge was temperamental at best, due to specific features not being supported by the wireless chipset. Luckily I don't think you need that transparency.

Fyi a bridge usually implies two dedicated devices either end connecting two seperate physical network segments, usually seamlessly. You may not get that seemless integration (but you may). Worst case you end up with double NAT.

Somebody else should be able to chime in but basically you configure the router to connect to your hostspot and any wired client will have internet access.

Of course the suggestion of tethering via USB above is just as valid but you will be required to physically connect it. Your milage may vary with the ability to utilise the hotspot amongst additional devices simultaneously when it's connected like this.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your help. It sounds like this is possible from what everyone has posted, will have to try several solutions to find what works but sounds like it will work.

Connect your verizon mifi and use it as a USB wan with the ac68 and then use the ac68 which is a better access point for all your use.

if you dont' want to do that, you can setup the ac68 as a repeater and configure it to use the verizon mifi as its' access point/router. If you use repeater mode all the wired ports and wireless ssid can be used on the ac68. If you set it up as media bridge, only the wired ports will work.

If you set it up as media bridge, only the wired ports will work.

I'm guessing this is the intended outcome. I get the impression they will only be there intermittently and a permanent exposed wifi connection isn't required.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!