What's new

[RT-AC68U] [Asuswrt xx.38-1] Overclocking settings are lost after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

qeno

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to overclock RT-AC68 on Asuswrt xx.38-1 without luck. I can not get the overclocking setting to be permanent. Settings are lost after router reboots.
nvram set clkfreq=1200,866
nvram commit
reboot

What am I missing?:confused:

Thanks in advance for your help.

866 is not a valid clock rate for DRAM. Highest valid rate is 800.

Your values might also get overwritten if you upgrade your CFE.

I just rebooted my router and I confirm that the clocks are still there (1200/800, AC56U)

Try to set lower clocks and see if they retain (just as Merlin suggested)

... and out of curiosity - did you try any clocks higher than 1200?

i know it's a dumb question lol :D

how can i overclock my ac68 ?

i m running 38-1

Code:
nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit
reboot

per this very thread...

geno, what differences, if any do you see with the router overclocked?

I just want to point out with 1.0.1.6 CPE bootloader I got with my new AC68 last Saturday: when I set the DRAM frequency beyond the default 666, the router will powercycle itself. I have to reset it.

I can overclock the CPU though, setting it to 1000 MHz.

geno, what differences, if any do you see with the router overclocked?

I first performed the 666MHz mem boost from Asus about a month ago. Then, two days ago I got adventurous again. I first went to 1000/666. After I found that to be stable, I went to 1200/666.

Compared to stock with 666Mhz ram the max down/up speed without HW accel. went from 285/285Mb/s to about 405/385Mb/s.

That's a large boost in CPU processing power. I still have to use HW accel. however in order to fully utilize my line.

That's quite a problem to have (needing HWA to fully utilize your connection). :)

Have you tried if 800MHz ram is stable for your router?

Either way; the performance increase is incredible (~40%).

Does OC'ing affect normal web browsing, etc.?

I doubt there is a difference in web browsing. Processing delays compared to network latency are an order of magnitude lower. Perhaps, the Web UI is a bit snappier. It's difficult to say.

I can imagine however if you are the type of user who runs additional services on the router such as VPN or torrents, there are gains to be made.

I have not tried the higher 800MHz mem clock yet. When overclocking I prefer to only change one thing at a time. I will give it a try once I am satisfied 1200MHz on the CPU is stable.

EDIT: It slipped my mind...kind of late here. When you have applied the Asus 666MHz patch you can't OC the mem to 800MHz any longer.

Last edited:
really beyond my comprehension why would ASUS lock the memory at 667MHz, while the memory chips themselves are rated for 800Mhz...

really beyond my comprehension why would ASUS lock the memory at 667MHz, while the memory chips themselves are rated for 800Mhz...

Because not everything else surrounding the chips might be rated for 800 MHz.

There's more involved than just the RAM chip itself to get a specific clock rate to work reliably.

Someone please help...I tried overclocking and after reboot my ac68u running merlins latest build won't boot...pursuing the reset button does not help and even the firmware restoration utility went recognize the router in recovery mode...Idk what to do...any advice guys?

The led keeps flagging from usb2.0 to power over and over...reset button does nothing

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Someone please help...I tried overclocking and after reboot my ac68u running merlins latest build won't boot...pursuing the reset button does not help and even the firmware restoration utility went recognize the router in recovery mode...Idk what to do...any advice guys?

The led keeps flagging from usb2.0 to power over and over...reset button does nothing

How did you overclock it? If you used the Turbo button, just depress it. If you played with the clkfreq value, then turn the router off, press the WPS button and keep it pressed, then turn the router back on. Wait 5 secs, then release the WPS button. That should set it back to factory default settings.

How did you overclock it? If you used the Turbo button, just depress it. If you played with the clkfreq value, then turn the router off, press the WPS button and keep it pressed, then turn the router back on. Wait 5 secs, then release the WPS button. That should set it back to factory default settings.

Thank you Merlin...I did end up pressing the wps button through experimenting and it did boot up...I'm currently running 1200,666 without any issues so far.

I just want to point out with 1.0.1.6 CPE bootloader I got with my new AC68 last Saturday: when I set the DRAM frequency beyond the default 666, the router will powercycle itself. I have to reset it.

I can overclock the CPU though, setting it to 1000 MHz.

So we can't touch RAM pass 666 Mhz if we have the 1.0.1.6 bootloader? We can only bump the CPU? I wonder how much power draw bumping the CPU up to 1200 is vs stock 800...negligible? Don't want to be wasting unnecessary electricity/$ ha

If you can afford 1/3 of a Starbucks coffee a year, you can afford to upgrade the router. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!