What's new

RT-AC68U - client1.ovpn -help get my head around client names[Solved]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

makem

Occasional Visitor
I have the router set up as far as I can see, correctly and it works with clients from within the LAN. I am using Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware 378.55.

I have a number of things I just cannot understand at this stage and would appeciate some enlightenment.

I have 5 clients each named for example, client1, client2 etc. These are listed on the OpenVPN Server - Instance 1, in the username section and they all have the same password at this stage.

I give each client the .ovpn file named Client1 produced by the router in the General section.

I have only tried two clients concurrently so far and do not see that they show as disconnected in the username list.

On the page for the running VPN Status page for OpenVPN server 1 I see both clients but both are named 'client' in their common name. The only way to identify which is which is by their MAC address.

In addition, when each client attempts to connect, the connection is established without a request for client name or password.

Questions:

1. How to ensure each client is known by the username allotted?

2. Why are the clients able to connect without credentials?

3. When two clients are connected, my Outpost Pro firewall and the server deamon both each use some 30/40% of the processor on my laptop which is one of the two clients, the other being my mobile phone. I am not too concerned about that yet as I have not checked settings.

[Edit] Contrary to that in the stock firmware - SELECT "Username/Password Authentication" - Yes.

Then you get the usual "No" in the stock firmware which you can now select.

Took me a while to spot that.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!