What's new

RT-AC68U CPU spec

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dvohwinkel

Does anyone know if the current selling version of the RT-AC68U has been upgraded to use the dual core 1Ghz CPU or is it still using the dual core 800Mhz? I'm trying to decide on the U or the P model.

Regards

As has already been mentioned: you need to actually buy it from your favorite source to know. :)

Yes, it has been 'upgraded'. No idea if it is available in your selling area. ;)

RT-AC68P:
1GHZ (BCM4709)

RT-AC68U:
REV A1/A2 = 800MHZ (BCM4708) / NO FA SUPPORT
REV B1/B2 = 1GHZ (BCM4709)
REV C0 = 1GHZ (BCM4709)

Last edited:
Overclocking isn't an option for most (that don't like to tinker).

Neither is it guaranteed.

Last December we ordered one from our suppliers for a customer, and it was an HW Rev B1, with 1 GHz CPU. Last week we ordered another one for another customer, and it was the HW rev A2 with the 800 MHz CPU. It all depends on what the supplier has in stock.

Last December we ordered one from our suppliers for a customer, and it was an HW Rev B1, with 1 GHz CPU. Last week we ordered another one for another customer, and it was the HW rev A2 with the 800 MHz CPU. It all depends on what the supplier has in stock.

I really wish manufacturers would stop screwing with model numbers and hardware revisions and make it part of the description. For the AC68 there is W/U/R/P/A at a minimum.. and U has A1,A2,B1,B2,C0 hardware revisions from what I am hearing. I'm not going to fuss if I get a B1,B2, or C0.. but I would naturally be unhappy with an A1 or A2 due to the 800Mhz CPU. I used my last router for 10 years(DIR-655).. I actually have a WRT54GS still around for occasional testing. I tend to keep things a long time and the faster CPU will help.. :)

I really wish manufacturers would stop screwing with model numbers and hardware revisions and make it part of the description. For the AC68 there is W/U/R/P/A at a minimum.. and U has A1,A2,B1,B2,C0 hardware revisions from what I am hearing. I'm not going to fuss if I get a B1,B2, or C0..

No better at other OEM's - Vendor "L" has one AC1900 class product that has 3 versions - V2 had a different CPU and twice the RAM, and V3 supposedly is higher clocked - problem is that V2 and V3 have the exact same FCCID, and V3 has the new FCC Tx limits compared to V2 - complicating it further in within the V2 product line, there are two discrete CPU levels, one at 1.3GHz, and the other @ 1.6 - and confirmed at that... grrr...

How many different hardware revisions were there for the WRT54G? They had different amount of RAM and flashes, and even had a different OS at some point (VxWorks).

No better at other OEM's - Vendor "L" has one AC1900 class product that has 3 versions - V2 had a different CPU and twice the RAM, and V3 supposedly is higher clocked - problem is that V2 and V3 have the exact same FCCID, and V3 has the new FCC Tx limits compared to V2 - complicating it further in within the V2 product line, there are two discrete CPU levels, one at 1.3GHz, and the other @ 1.6 - and confirmed at that... grrr...

Wow who has a 1.3 and a 1.6Ghz CPU?

How many different hardware revisions were there for the WRT54G? They had different amount of RAM and flashes, and even had a different OS at some point (VxWorks).

That is the definition of Insane! I just had a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series
I think there is like 18 different revisions of the just the WRT54G alone. 11 different versions of the WRT54GS.. etc.. :D Can you imagine making firmware for all that?! ;)

Well my RT-AC68U arrived and it's a B1, so yea! Now to figure out what firmware to load.

It's interesting to me that it says it was manufactured in 2016, comes with Firmware 3.0.0.4 376_2104, and is hardware revision B1. Doesn't seem like we are far enough into the year for them to create two new hardware revisions. Makes me wonder if they make different hardware versions at different factories.. then B1 might be current for that one factory.. idle musings..

RT-AC68P:
1GHZ (BCM4709)

RT-AC68U:
REV A1/A2 = 800MHZ (BCM4708) / NO FA SUPPORT
REV B1/B2 = 1GHZ (BCM4709)
REV C0 = 1GHZ (BCM4709)

My overcloked RT-AC68U is A2 and has FA support! (as per the AsusWRT-Merlin firmware)

Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv7 Processor rev 0 (v7l)
processor       : 0
BogoMIPS        : 2798.38

processor       : 1
BogoMIPS        : 2798.38

Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x3
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 0

Hardware        : Northstar Prototype
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

Does that make any sens?

Last edited:
It's interesting to me that it says it was manufactured in 2016, comes with Firmware 3.0.0.4 376_2104, and is hardware revision B1.

This is crazy! My B1 was manufactured in 2015 and came with newer firmware 3.0.0.4.378_8258 per the tag on the box.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!