What's new

RT-AC68U Firmware Choices - Which to Chose?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anotherengineer

Hello, I ordered an ac68u, H/W Ver: A2, asus stock firmware 3.0.0.378_6975, from staples the other week.

I am currently running an RT-N66U with Merlin 378.58 I believe. Basically I am just looking for stability and reliability. I am curious what others are running and like? The options I am considering are
1. Asus latest Firmware
2. Merlin latest firmware
3. John's Merlin fork
4. An older downgradable FW version

Can anyone chime in on this?
Thanks

For plain stability I suggest the latest downloadable stock firmware, currently 3.0.0.4.380.3831 and ignore the exclamation sign in the GUI that suggest to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.380.4118 (some users report issues with that version).
If you like to have more bells and whistles I suggest the latest Merlin version.
Do you like more experimental go for Johns.
Do not install older firmware due to security fixes in newer firmware.

Anyway perform a hard reset after what ever firmware you install and manual configure the router from scratch.

Last edited:
Hello, I ordered an ac68u, H/W Ver: A2, asus stock firmware 3.0.0.378_6975, from staples the other week.

I am currently running an RT-N66U with Merlin 378.58 I believe. Basically I am just looking for stability and reliability. I am curious what others are running and like? The options I am considering are
1. Asus latest Firmware
2. Merlin latest firmware
3. John's Merlin fork
4. An older downgradable FW version

Can anyone chime in on this?
Thanks

I just got 2 of these, actually TMobile 1900's, and flashed them to AC68's. I also used to have an N66.
I loaded both AC68's up with Merlin's latest (one as an AP, and the other as a Media Bridge). Had several problems, including my Canon printer/scanner wouldn't work over the wireless like it used to, and my VPN, which I run from a computer on the network, wouldn't work reliably. Tried all kinds of settings, etc., but nothing would make things just work like they used to with the N66.

Today I loaded up John's fork on the AP, and now everything works like it used to. (I left the latest Merlin on the Media Bridge.) So, I highly recommend John's fork, especially since you know that you've got an A2. Just use the Asus Utility to load that firmware on, as noted in John's installation notes.

I updated some of my 68P routers with 3.0.0.4.380.4118 a day ago and they seem to be working fine. I believe it was Merlin who mentioned in another thread about this that besides a few small fixes this update was almost more of a way of testing the new prompted update method than it was a normal firmware change full of critical fixes.

My opinion is that you could stick with the previous 3.0.0.4.380.3831 but if either you live in the Istanbul time zone or if that blinking exclamation mark prompting you to update starts to bother you then simply take the plunge and update to 3.0.0.4.380.4118. You should be good to go either way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback.

Located in Canada EST. I do have a network printer hardwired to the n-66u currently and a Synolgy 712+ NAS and a 16 port switch also plugged into the n66u, and main workstation takes up the last port.

Out of town at a camp job now, will swap out the N66U for the AC68U when I get back home.
Some reasons for the upgrade over the n66u
-wireless speed on 2.4GHz
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance
-sale price I got
-it's supposedly better QoS implementation

Updated with Merlin 380.64, and the 2.4 wireless is worse (slower and less smooth/stable) than the n66u on merlin 378.52........hmmmm

Wired performance is good though. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Try John's fork (but you'll have to go into recovery mode to load it). I did the same as you, went from a N66U to the AC68U/A2.

I was using John's on the N66U. I briefly tried Merlin's on the AC68U, but for some reason (that I can't remember now :rolleyes:) I preferred John's. Probably just familiarity.

BTW Traditional QOS is now fixed in John's latest beta (V22BA) unlike current Merlin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!