What's new

RT-AC68U FW Suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dinglestains

New Around Here
I'm planning to buy a RT-AC68U router in the near future and I'm trying to figure out which firmware would be best for me. I see there are a few custom firmwares (Merlin, DD-WRT, and Tomato) available and I'm not sure the pros/cons of each. Can someone suggest which firmware I should use? I don't use a lot of advanced features. I have VPN setup, remote administration enabled, and wake-on-lan setup, but that's about as advanced as it gets for me. I do a lot of online gaming so performance would probably be my main concern. Do I need any of the custom firmwares for what I use or would the stock firmware do well?

Thanks in advance.

What's the speed of your Internet connection?

Sorry, for the late reply. I was out of town for the holidays. My internet connection is 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up (business class so it's dedicated). I do stream a lot of media over my network (from my server) and a little over Netflix. I'm not sure if that's something to consider or not.

Any of these firmware would give you enough performance for a 50 Mbps Internet connection.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm planning to buy a RT-AC68U router in the near future and I'm trying to figure out which firmware would be best for me. I see there are a few custom firmwares (Merlin, DD-WRT, and Tomato) available and I'm not sure the pros/cons of each.

I'd recommend the RMerlin builds - he's close to stock with subtle fixes/enhancements...

Thanks for the suggestions. Does that mean that all are pretty equal in reducing latency?

None of them will make any measurable difference on latency.

RMerlin - What would your recommendation be if I have a 1Gbps fiber connection?

You will absolutely need a firmware that has NAT acceleration, which limits your choices to Asus's stock firmware, or mine.

Awesome. I'm running your firmware and NAT Acc is set to auto. I was running the fork of 374.43 for a LONG time...until I got the 1Gbps service. I could barely push 200Mbps. I jumped to .55 and I can now hit +900Mbps. I need to upgrade to 56_2 (aon the latest).

I know this isn't where feature requests are to be made...but...do you have plans to implement a friendlier static DHCP editor? I'm managing it via command line now, but I'm having to deal with the limited entry buffer (break the command into pieces) and, well, I'm lazy. Thanks for the work that you do!!!!! Seriously!

Having upgraded to 56_2 I now choose to withdraw my request - I'm sorry. I'm curious if the list is automatically sorted by IP address in an ascending fashion.

Having upgraded to 56_2 I now choose to withdraw my request - I'm sorry. I'm curious if the list is automatically sorted by IP address in an ascending fashion.

No, there's no sorting done on the list. At this time I don't have any plan regarding changing it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!