What's new

RT-AC68U hardware versions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tyreman

Regular Contributor
I thought I'd try and scare up the newest hardware version of the AC68U...
Went thru a couple places even one with a dozen in stock all were A2's
emailed another nada only older cpu configuration.
No B1 or C1's to be had.
Surprised at that.

I ordered my 68U off Amazon on February 9, 2016 and the unit that I got was a B1 with firmware Version 3.0.0.4.378.8258 which was released on 2015/09/17.

The two I ordered from Amazon on 12/16/2015 are B1's.

What is the best hardware version and where do you check on the box?
No one knows the answer this question. Don't assume later revisions are improvements and not just cost cutting changes. Searching out revisions without knowing what changed from revision to revision is a waste of time and flying blind.

The new rt-ac68u reversion has a 1ghz cpu.
That's obvious and states processor speed on the outside of the box or in the specifications listing on who ever your buying one from. You don't need a specific revision number to figure that out as simple reading skills will suffice.

I said that because you said different revisions may not include improvements. 1ghz vs 800mhz is an improvement. Maybe it is cost cutting. A 1ghz cpu could be cheaper than 800mhz.

Also a person could be buying on eBay and the item may not have a box. In that case you would ask the model and version number from the label.
I've purchased plenty of routers on eBay with out a box. And the revision number was the only way to accurately know what the hardware is.

Last edited:
So are the changes in revisions b1 and c1 limited to processor speed? The reason I'm asking is that the usb read speed of the 68p looked about double that of the 68u. Wondered if the hardware revision changes impacted this as well. Anyone test this yet?

Last edited:
On the box, the white sticker(UPC) with the mac addy,serial number and firmware version.
On the lower left side as you look at it

And of course thats assuming its the correct box for that S/N router
or check the unit itself.

BTW I thought I found a B1 .......they shipped me an A2 ..so back it went.

I think there was some shielding done(A2) to but I am certainly not sure

I sure can't find any mention of processor size on my box or instruction set either.
Newer boxes/instruction set might have that mine doesn't
Although it shows in the router software

Last edited:
I think Asus went from the BCM4708 to the BCM4709 CPU as that is what the netgear R7000 has in it.
Helps to match the speed the competition has for the same class of router.

I think Asus went from the BCM4708 to the BCM4709 CPU as that is what the netgear R7000 has in it.
Helps to match the speed the competition has for the same class of router.

Right. And since the USB controller is part of the processor as I understand it, makes me wonder if the USB performance may have also improved as a result.

So are the changes in revisions b1 and c1 limited to processor speed?

It's not just the speed, it's actually a newer CPU revision, which is why a newer SDK was required.

No idea if they also changed the PAs or not. I know Asus went through a few different PAs over the course of the RT-AC68U life, I can see traces of them in the firmware code.

It's not just the speed, it's actually a newer CPU revision, which is why a newer SDK was required.

No idea if they also changed the PAs or not. I know Asus went through a few different PAs over the course of the RT-AC68U life, I can see traces of them in the firmware code.
Thanks for the reply, guess we'll find out as the b1 and c1 revisions become more common.

I got the B1 version from a canada computer store in toronto sometime at the end of december 2015. Actually I saw the B1 version at 2 different canada computers stores.

I was at one of these 2 stores 3 days ago and checked the isle where the AC68U was displayed but I was only able to find A2. I was really hoping to see a C1 and I thought B1 would have been more available by now.

Also, I don't think the processor information is not printed on the box. I guess the only way to know that info is through software.

I got the B1 version from a canada computer store in toronto sometime at the end of december 2015. Actually I saw the B1 version at 2 different canada computers stores.

I was at one of these 2 stores 3 days ago and checked the isle where the AC68U was displayed but I was only able to find A2. I was really hoping to see a C1 and I thought B1 would have been more available by now.

Also, I don't think the processor information is not printed on the box. I guess the only way to know that info is through software.

Yep found same here other day went to Canada Computers Waterloo store and employee and I went thru about 10 of them all A2's

Yep found same here other day went to Canada Computers Waterloo store and employee and I went thru about 10 of them all A2's

B1 must not be too far away in the distribution chain. We ordered one from our supplier a few weeks ago, and it was a revision B1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!