What's new

RT-AC68U has crazy WAN dropouts when WiFi signal is poor

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fcosenti

Occasional Visitor
Hello folks,

I have been having this weird issue that it is puzzling me. I have a Asus RT-AC68U with the latest stock firmware, I have a feeling the issue got worse using this. The WAN is an ADSL/2+ using a TP-LINK modem in bridge mode.
In normal conditions the connection is rock solid - it goes for weeks.
However, when I take my Nexus 7 2013 tablet to the bedroom, where there is a poor WiFi signal, the WAN disconnects!! The RT-AC68U shows internet "disconnected", and I have to reset both modem and router to get it back, since when I try to authenticate manually again, it doesn't work (it uses PPPoE).

Any idea?

It would help if you let us know the exact version of the firmware that you have. The "latest" per the router's GUI is typically not the latest via the support website.

I would check your Nexus tablet... seems like that's the problem, not the router...

The Nexus tablet works fine all around the house. I will try with my other HTC tablet as well, HOWEVER the router cannot be affected by anything, no matter how corrupted are the packets - the protocol is supposed to drop any rubbish you throw at it.
Particularly interesting the fact that the WAN drops, which is really strange - almost like a self-defense mechanism of the internet provider equipment when it is under DDoS attack (it takes quite a while after reset to get the connection authenticated again, it doesn't do it immediately after reboot).
cleardot.gif

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!