What's new

RT-AC68U Linux USB drive not able to access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zorb847

New Around Here
I have been reading through the forums and on the internet and have not found an answer to my problem so I am posting here.

I am trying to get my laptop to use the usb disk connected to my ASUS rt-ac68u router so that I can transfer and store files.
I can see the folder names however I CANNOT see the file names - returns error "Access denied to smb://rt-ac68u-e090/public."
I have created the proper directories and users and have given the users rw permissions.
I have no firewall installed on the laptop.
I am using the file manager Dolphin that is part of the KDE Plasma desktop.
When I try to access, I get a popup asking for my username and password and I have double checked this several times and have verified that it is correct!
There is a place in KDE user settings for windows shares which I have entered my username and password.
I have turned off media server and ftp servers in the settings (I don't know what effect this would have anyway)
If I turn off guest login, I am able to connect and transfer files without problems.
If I turn on guest login NOT able to connect

Some info about my system:
Router
AiMesh router
RT-AC68U
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_45713-g0f2983e
======
Computer
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
Qt Version: 5.11.3
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.54.0
Kernel Version: 4.19.0-6-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 2 × AMD A6-7000 Radeon R4, 5 Compute Cores 2C+3G
Memory: 3.2 GiB of RAM

I have this laptop setup so that I can dual boot to windows 7.
If I boot to windows, I am able to connect no problem, even if guest login is turned off!

My question is, what is different about linux that is preventing me from accessing the samba share on the router?
It seems like the username and password is not being transmitted or maybe blocked somehow.
I would prefer to have access to this password protected but this is on my home network router only and I am usually the only one using it.
Can I assume that it is safe to leave guest login on and no one from the outside can get to my files?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!