What's new

RT-AC68U max file size?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calzor suzay

Regular Contributor
I have an ASUS RT-AC68U on order which I plan to plug a USB3 stick into formatted as EXT4 and share over the network using NFS.

I found this link http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/ talking about supported file systems and sizes but it has no mention of max file size on EXT4 but 8gb is mentioned a lot for everything else. Some of the files mainly films can and are over 8gb so is this an issue?

Also are the NFS settings tweakable? I currently use Hanewin NFS from my Windows 10 PC and had to tweak it a bit to get movies to stream without buffering issues.

I would assume you could likely adjust the ulimits to accommodate for a larger max file size.

At least you can do this on most common unix flavors.

FAT I think was the trouble maker with max 4gb file.

So it's not a limitation of the Asus router it can't handle files over 8gb then?

So it's not a limitation of the Asus router it can't handle files over 8gb then?

No. It is a limitation of the disk format used on the storage device.

That doesn't make sense as EXT3 can handle a file size of 1TB but Asus quote 8GB.

That doesn't make sense as EXT3 can handle a file size of 1TB but Asus quote 8GB.
You're right. That Asus document makes no sense. Ext2/3/4 allow for file sizes of 16GB, or more depending on block size.

I've just plugged a 16GB flash drive into my N66U and formatted it as ext3. I then copied a 9GB file to and from it and checked its integrity afterwards. It was fine.

So from that I can assume that files up to at least 16GB are fine. As the default block size from mkfs.ext3 was 4096 I'd expect the maximum file size to be 2TB.

Don't forget you are dealing with a system with only 256MB of memory. There may be some operational limitations imposed because of that. For example, some people have trouble attaching 4TB drives because there is insufficient memory to run a disk check.

Ok so it might be a case of suck it and see :)
I have a 1tb drive I plan on linking up so will see if it can handle the files placed on it.

I have a HDD attached to my RT-AC68P that I use for backups and the files get up to about 500gb. I'm using ext4.

Don't forget you are dealing with a system with only 256MB of memory. There may be some operational limitations imposed because of that. For example, some people have trouble attaching 4TB drives because there is insufficient memory to run a disk check.

And also some old services (Samba 3.0.25 for instance), plus we're dealing with a 32-bit kernel on a fairly old version on some models. There might be a number of areas where Asus might have to deal with such a limitation. It MIGHT work, but they just cannot guarantee it.

And also some old services (Samba 3.0.25 for instance), plus we're dealing with a 32-bit kernel on a fairly old version on some models. There might be a number of areas where Asus might have to deal with such a limitation. It MIGHT work, but they just cannot guarantee it.

Yep, plus they need to cover the aspects of what filesystem might be in use on the attached device - different filesystems have their own constraints...

Yep, plus they need to cover the aspects of what filesystem might be in use on the attached device - different filesystems have their own constraints...
Err, yeah.o_O That was kind of the whole point of the link in the OP. :rolleyes:

Using a 256GB Flash drive here with Ext2 partition on RT-AC1900P (similar to AC68U) and downloaded a 6.2GB video file to it with Download Master without any problem. File plays straight to smart tv from the drive.

Err, yeah.o_O That was kind of the whole point of the link in the OP. :rolleyes:

I don't recall anybody asking for your comment above...

Sometimes threads are larger than they appear... it's not just the OP, but the community at large.

RMerlin raised a good point - services offered by the Router/AP, and then there are concerns with regards to the file systems mounted, and the client side as well.

Contribute in a postive manner... I did with my additional comment - what have you contributed to this thread?

Sometimes threads are larger than they appear... it's not just the OP, but the community at large.

RMerlin raised a good point - services offered by the Router/AP, and then there are concerns with regards to the file systems mounted, and the client side as well.

Contribute in a postive manner... I did with my additional comment - what have you contributed to this thread?

Colin contributed 2 cent to the OP with fact and science. RMerlin and you seem to me jus talking "good old day" or something. 0.01 cent.

People are skeptical of Asus document because it's losing customers' faith. However, on the file size alone, the doc may have some substance in it.

I had personal experience of succeeding on a 9GB file but failing on a 12GB one. My usb stick is on ext4.

RMerlin and you seem to me jus talking "good old day" or something. 0.01 cent.

I'm not talking about "the good old days", I'm talking about what Asus is using right now in Asuswrt: Samba 3.0, and kernel 2.6.22/2.6.36.

People are skeptical of Asus document because it's losing customers' faith. However, on the file size alone, the doc may have some substance in it.

Asus has to be conservative - they're on the hook as it's their product... doesn't mean it's a minimum or not, but it does define something that they've tested and can support...

I'm sorry to have caused offence sfx. It was just an attempt at mild humour on my part (I obviously failed). When I saw your post it seemed to be restating exactly the same question that the OP had made so I assumed you hadn't read the OP.

What did I contribute? Well have a look at post #6 where not only did I research the official limits for ext2/3/4, but also spent over half an hour of my time doing some practical tests on my own router to discover if there was an obvious 8GB limit as stated by Asus.

What did you contribute? Well at that point, absolutely nothing because you had just restated the very topic we were discussing, hence my sarcasm.

Still, it's all good. Apologies again for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Well so far I'm having issues :(

I've used MiniTool partition wizard to format as EXT3 and EXT4 but it doesn't see any space free it the network map USB bit, it recognises the drive as a Samsung M3 portable.
I can from an SSH putty session browse to the already mounted drive and create folders etc.
From the USB FTP gui I can enable FTP and get in as admin, I then uploaded an 11gb file in Filezilla but from the asus gui I can't create a folder and apply permissions it just never 'adds' and gets past the pop up, on a USB2 memory stick I can though.

Any ideas?

I'd start again from scratch using the tools on the router rather than Windows.

Unmount the drive (sda1?)
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1
Physically unplug the drive, wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in.
In the GUI try creating your folders, don't do it from the router's command line.