What's new

RT-AC68U (Merlin 384.6) - entware unstable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vicinext

New Around Here
Hello, everyone!

I have googled for the answer for quite a while, but haven't found anything. Hope you can help me.
I have ASUS RT-AC68U (White, if this matters - for some reason the color is included with router identification) with Merlin 384.6 installed. USB stick is connected for logs collection and entware environment. The real reason I need entware is pixelsrv used with AB-Solution. I also use one custom script, namely YAMalwareBlock Script (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/yet-another-malware-block-script-using-ipset-v4-and-v6.38935/) installed on JFFS partition. Also mc with entware for more convinient logs viewing.

My problem is that entware ceases functioning regularly. Every day or two - router never reboots - when I log in via SSH and try to run mc, the packege is not found. Same happens with pixelsrv, and opkg is also not responding.

Reinstalling entware helps for a while, whether I do it using standard setup script provided with Merlin or AB-Solution menu, which installs entware too. But after another day or two entware is stuck again and I need to reinstall. For every reinstall backs up previous installation, I had five of those and erased them manually.

My guess was that the problem is with the USB stick, as AB-Solution points out that some of the dirs are locked while installing pixelsrv. I formatted it on a PC with ext3, placing label 'Merlin' on it, so it is accessed as /mnt/Merlin/, not typical /mnt/sda1/. However, I am not quite sure if that is the reason.

Are there any settings I should check before resetting the USB drive? Should I reformat it using native router commands? Any other ideas?

Hello, everyone!

I have googled for the answer for quite a while, but haven't found anything. Hope you can help me.
I have ASUS RT-AC68U (White, if this matters - for some reason the color is included with router identification) with Merlin 384.6 installed. USB stick is connected for logs collection and entware environment. The real reason I need entware is pixelsrv used with AB-Solution. I also use one custom script, namely YAMalwareBlock Script (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/yet-another-malware-block-script-using-ipset-v4-and-v6.38935/) installed on JFFS partition. Also mc with entware for more convinient logs viewing.

My problem is that entware ceases functioning regularly. Every day or two - router never reboots - when I log in via SSH and try to run mc, the packege is not found. Same happens with pixelsrv, and opkg is also not responding.

Reinstalling entware helps for a while, whether I do it using standard setup script provided with Merlin or AB-Solution menu, which installs entware too. But after another day or two entware is stuck again and I need to reinstall. For every reinstall backs up previous installation, I had five of those and erased them manually.

My guess was that the problem is with the USB stick, as AB-Solution points out that some of the dirs are locked while installing pixelsrv. I formatted it on a PC with ext3, placing label 'Merlin' on it, so it is accessed as /mnt/Merlin/, not typical /mnt/sda1/. However, I am not quite sure if that is the reason.

Are there any settings I should check before resetting the USB drive? Should I reformat it using native router commands? Any other ideas?
Format using the router. It is easy and effective. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ext4-disk-formatting-options-on-the-router.48302/#post-423296

No problem, but what file system would you advise?
That is a debate that goes on and on. Personally I use EXT2 on my USB sticks (like for ab-solution and swap file etc.) and EXT4 on any large drives (spinning or ssd).

That is a debate that goes on and on. Personally I use EXT2 on my USB sticks (like for ab-solution and swap file etc.) and EXT4 on any large drives (spinning or ssd).
Thanks, will try ext2. Don't need anything spinning connected to the router directly anyhow - using Synology to spin disks up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!