What's new

RT-AC68U - newbie questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Russ64

Occasional Visitor
I have my new AC68 up and running in AP mode and have setup with 2 SSIDs, performance is good but I have a couple of questions as I am new to this modern wireless technology:

1. the AC68 is 3x3 but I only see 2 radios - 2.4 and 5, does N 5G share the same radio as AC 5G?
2. it came out box with firmware 376.3602 and I immediately upgraded to Asus 378.4585 - what would be the benefits of going to Merlin 378.51 running in AP mode?

Thanks

There are only 2 radios in the router and they both run at 3 streams hence the 3x3 terminology. Not sure if Merlin's firmware will improve the router in AP mode but it's worth a shot. Merlin works hard and his firmware is really good.

1. the AC68 is 3x3 but I only see 2 radios - 2.4 and 5, does N 5G share the same radio as AC 5G?

2. it came out box with firmware 376.3602 and I immediately upgraded to Asus 378.4585 - what would be the benefits of going to Merlin 378.51 running in AP mode?

Thanks

(1)
Band refers to the number of radios, so Dual Band means you have 2 radios. The 3x3 refers to the "number of antenna" x "number of streams". You also need to be aware that the client (laptop, ipod, phone, etc) that you connect also controls the connection. For example a laptop with AC 1x1 WiFi connecting to a router with AC 3x3 will only run at AC 1x1 speeds.

(2) IMHO, there is no reason to use Merlin for AP mode only.

Thanks for the fast replies - I think I understand now.
So if all my N clients can connect to 5GHz should I turn off the 2.4GHz radio?
In my apartment 2.4 is really crowded (about 10 other routers sharing the 3 non-overlapping bands) but there are only 2 of us in 5Ghz, so easy to keep apart.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!