What's new

RT-AC68U often crash

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ramfast

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm new with this router. I have applied the latest firmware of course (378.54_2)

Problem : router can crash 3 times per day !
Compare to my previous router (Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT) I'm a little bit disappointed and I would like to identify the root cause of this problem.

When RT-AC68U crash, no internet access of course, ping of 192.168.1.1 is not responding and leds of lan and Wan (internet) are blinkings, lef for Wifi are fixed.
The only solution is to switch it OFF and ON.
I tried to erase NVRAM (by pressing button WPS when switching off and on the power.

I'm not using complex function : only mac adress filtering for Wfif, parental control and time scheduling for Wifi . No VPN configured, no LPD printing, no USB disk connected.

When I look for system log, I have noticed this sometimes : Disk_Monitor : Got SIGALARM

So how to identify why it crashes sometimes ?

Regards

Yann

You can have a HW problem, it could happen with any router, dont think its FW related but if you want give a try on a different FW (Stock/Tomato/DD-WRT,others) and check it the same happen, if so RMA it.

Identifying a HW problem only can be done via serial cable or software not included on the FWs, like for example memtest.

Also you can try check your syslog after the crash happening looking for any critical msgs.

PS: Make sure you have RESET your router properly (press RESET button 10sec without releasing it) or via WEBUI - FACTORY DEFAULT RESTORE.

Good luck.

NVRAM is cleaned with RESET button, no need WPS procedure.

OK,
crash again this morning.
Latest information in syslog was from yesterday evening, nothing about this morning.
Action plan : try a NVRAM clear using reset button behind
If still occurs, I will try another FM as DD-WRT

I will keep you informed

BR

I have the same problem, suddenly the LAN connection goes away (limited connectivity on windows) and the wifi doesn't work too, although my devices are able to mantain the connection. all LEDs are on, and the LAN and internet LEDs are also blinking. I already have tried to reset the router but the problem is still there (I had the crash after 7 days from the reset, in other cases, 1 day of activity is enough to induce the crash)

Last edited:
Looking at the Label on the back of the Router >> the model is RT-AC68P not U, like I mentioned.

Seems like it is the same type of problem that some of us are having >> see here >> http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-need-some-help.25514

I have included a .txt Log file.. I did notice that the Dates Jump from June 27 to Dec 31 then jump again to July 1.

Any Ideas why the log recording jumps from June 27 to Dec 31?? and then July 1 ?

The date jumps when the router reboots since it doesn't have a real time clock and needs to get the time from the ntp server again. The question is why you went from June27 to July1 without any log entries (It looks the router was having some problem for a while). I'd actually like to see the log from earlier if you have it.

Also, you are still having errors on your 32GB stick, THIS_THAT (I saw your other thread). It shouldn't cause the router to drop, but I'd assume that that stick is bad.

John9527, I have included a Log txt since Jun19. Also, there seems to be a specific FW for the RT-AC68P on ASUS website, could this have something to do with the drops I'm getting? Appreciate your input. Thanks

Flying Dutchman which would be the Stock FW you are using? is it the Latest or the one it came with? in the later case how would I know which one it came with? Nothing mentioned on the rear label.
Sanna1967 Humm im almost sure it was this one ( Version 3.0.0.4.376.3626 ) :cool:

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68P/HelpDesk/

Thanks, There seems to be a different FW for the RT-AC68P, the latest is for the RT-AC68U but Beta!!

Last edited:
="john9527,

Also, you are still having errors on your 32GB stick, THIS_THAT (I saw your other thread). It shouldn't cause the router to drop, but I'd assume that that stick is bad.

I totally reformatted that Stick and seems to be working fine now.

I did reformat last night, I will then just Unplug it and get something else !!!

Could that be the problem ..... AGAIN?

The internet went out about that time, I then turned the Router Off and then On and the internet came back.

John9527, I have included a Log txt since Jun19. Also, there seems to be a specific FW for the RT-AC68P on ASUS website, could this have something to do with the drops I'm getting? Appreciate your input. Thanks
As long as you are running code released after the release of the 68P you are fine (they 68U and 68P share the same code code base).

There is definitely something strange going on in the logs, but not something I've seen before. My best guess is that you have a client with a virus that is essentially doing a DoS attack on the router (flooding the router with DNS requests and opening a lot of upnp ports). Hard to tell who, but I'd start by checking systems 'AleAli' and 'Denise_Laptop' just to make sure they are clean.

This is the Stick I
41GwpYKl6sL._AA160_.jpg

The Check on the same came out good
THIS-THAT2.jpg

However, I will leave it out of the system for a while to closely watch the behavior without it.

I will check the Denise Laptop and the AleAli PC for any virus or the sort. What would be that I'm looking for?

We have Six Ip cameras that run on ISpy Camera Program (Win 8.1), could they be requesting the extra DNSs?

So as long as I have all those "removed 23 unused rules" type message, there are extra DNSs requests not needed?

Thank you again for taking the time on this.

Last edited:
The 'unused rules' entries relate to upnp. The DNS requests are reflected in these entries.
Code:
Jun 22 22:39:19 dnsmasq[488]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Jun 22 22:39:25 dnsmasq[488]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Jun 22 22:39:37 dnsmasq[488]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Jun 22 22:39:45 dnsmasq[488]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
I will check the Denise Laptop and the AleAli PC for any virus or the sort. What would be that I'm looking for?
Whatever virus program you are using, just run a 'deep scan' or whatever they call it (as opposed to a 'quick scan'). If you are running Avast Suite, there is an option to 'look for network vulnerabilities' or some similar wording that you should turn off or exclude the router address.

Regarding the cameras, I really don't have any experience there, but I wouldn't expect that they would be making a bunch of DNS queries.

Great john9527 !!, I will check all these points and after making DEEP SCANS tonight on everything and usisng that 'look for network vulnerabilities' with the Avast Suite we have I will post the results hoping to find something that is causing the abnormal behavior.

Appreciate very much all the input on these issues. Thank you so much.

Hi,

my router crash again :mad:
So I tried to reset it by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds. Nothing happens (leds of Internet and network switch were still blinking).
I tried to press the button to desactivated leds behind : nothing happens too.

So I pressed the WPS button, switch off and on the router and release after the WPS button.
Router asked me to configure it (SSID Asus) (so I think it was reset to factory default)
I have reloaded the backup configuration file .cfg

Will see how many times it will stay alive....

Next step if happens again : try using DD-WRT....

Appreciate help to find the problem

Thx

I realized I wasn't clear and mixed two things together.

The Avast Suite comment is a general comment....I know that it can flood the router with logon requests and who knows what else. So that is really just an overall recommendation and not associated with the 'deep scan'. You can try that right now and see if it helps.

Does anybody know what the maximum operating temp for the AC68U is? I'm thinking maybe mine is overheating which is causing it to freeze and lockout all connections...