What's new

RT-AC68U often crash

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,
to be honnest when it crashed testerday evening, it was at 85 ° c.
And outside (in France near Paris) we had around 39 °c May be a new record for us......

I realized I wasn't clear and mixed two things together.

The Avast Suite comment is a general comment....I know that it can flood the router with logon requests and who knows what else. So that is really just an overall recommendation and not associated with the 'deep scan'. You can try that right now and see if it helps.
I did run a deep scan on all the PCs and Laptops and they came back really clean, so happy!!

I have not gotten disconnected yet, since yesterday, maybe it is fixed? (hopeful thinking) and the culprit could have been the THIS-THAT stick. Will report later, anyways. Thanks to all involved in pinpointing this issue. And thank you john9527 for having the patience to look through the txt file.

Got the Internet interrupted again, it happened at about 3:03 then I turned the Router Off and On few minutes later and the Internet came back immediately. The Log file attached is just taken from Jun 26 to now, however, Jun 28-29-30-Jul 01-02 are not present. it Jumps and fills with Dec 31 from Jun 27 to July 03, is that not strange?

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

Attachments

• Log Jun26-03.txt
    28.6 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Any ideas on why this might be happening?
syslogd looks like it crashed shortly after the flood of miniupnpd messages, so no more messages until you rebooted the router. The flood of miniupnpd messages started right after 'Denise-Laptop' connected (does she like to run a lot of torrents?).

One thing you might try is falling back to a level before Merlin picked up the latest miniupnpd and see if it changes the behavior. (that would be 378.53)

Here is something that might give you an insight !!

After some research... turns out my router was crashing because of heat. So now I'm off to find ways to keep it cool (or buy a new one). Sucks to spend so much on a router to only have it fail.

Pointed fan at router ... dropped idle operating temp from 91c to 63c. Now just to figure out if running the fan provides too much wifi interference so close to the router.

Last edited:
syslogd looks like it crashed shortly after the flood of miniupnpd messages, so no more messages until you rebooted the router. The flood of miniupnpd messages started right after 'Denise-Laptop' connected (does she like to run a lot of torrents?).

One thing you might try is falling back to a level before Merlin picked up the latest miniupnpd and see if it changes the behavior. (that would be 378.53)
Good one John!! Denise does not know about Torrents at all!!! (great for me)

I have just changed over to 378.53 to test how it goes, will let you know. Thanks!

4thjuly.jpg

I did roll back to 378.53 and have not had a crash since then. What do you say to that? I think you were right on suggesting the roll back. Thanks so much. Will keep you informed if anything changes.
Regards.-

So I was afraid about hardware problem with my RT-AC68U . I had a lot of crash (every 2 or 3 days).
So I decided to move to DD-WRT with Kong firmware.
For the moment, no crash, routeur is up from 8 days.
So I prefered Merlin Interface but.... I prefer to have a stable router.
What is the difference between Merlin and Kong ? are they using the same kernel ?
BR

No, DD-WRT Kernel version is 3.x or 4.x (3.2.71, 3.10.87, 4.1.5), ASUSWRT Kernel version is 2.6.36.4.

I have (had) the same issue with my AC87R, latest firmware 378.55 ... It was getting so bad that each hour I would lose access to the internet, not able to access the router through 192.168.1.1 ... the led lights though were still blinking as if all was good. I couldn't get to the log so I don't know what is causing this. I decided to reset the firmware to default settings, keep nothing but my PPoE credentials, waiting a bit and sure enough, an hour later... crashed... again no access to anything. I then decided to put the Asus normal firmware from the Asus web site... and it's been up for the last 3 days... so doesn't seem isolated... something is off with the latest firmware. I could just go back one with Merlin but I'll wait for the next version to be out. Wish I could provide more info... but add me to the list of crashing routers using 378.55, Cheers!

interesting, how are dd-wrt using new kernel with broadcom driver that merlin says will work on 2.6 only?

interesting, how are dd-wrt using new kernel with broadcom driver that merlin says will work on 2.6 only?

I think I read somewhere that DD-WRT had purchased the Broadcom SDK and has a licensing arrangement to compile their own driver.