What's new

RT-AC68U Slow USB 3.0 speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jyeah

Occasional Visitor
I'm hoping ASUS would address this issue with the AC68U after seeing the abysmal performance of the USB 3.0 even when compared to the sibling AC56U.

Does anyone think a firmware update might address this? Or is this simply a design flaw where proper shielding was not implemented for the USB controller?

Hoping to use the AC68U as a NAS substitute, but might have to go the R7000 route instead (really don't like Netgear, but not much of a choice).

Tim mentioned this in his review. Most likely as he stated it is a hardware issue. Call Asus and see what they say.

I'm hoping ASUS would address this issue with the AC68U after seeing the abysmal performance of the USB 3.0 even when compared to the sibling AC56U.

Does anyone think a firmware update might address this? Or is this simply a design flaw where proper shielding was not implemented for the USB controller?

Hoping to use the AC68U as a NAS substitute, but might have to go the R7000 route instead (really don't like Netgear, but not much of a choice).

Or keep whichever router you currently have, and put the 200$ on a NAS that will give you better performance than what you'd get out of an R7000.

I've always been a strong believer in dedicated hardware for dedicated jobs.

Or keep whichever router you currently have, and put the 200$ on a NAS that will give you better performance than what you'd get out of an R7000.

I agree, but it doesn't make any sense to me that even the AC56 have an very good shield on the usb port, not just some black tape on other router but for the ac68 does not have any shield whatsoever.

I agree, but it doesn't make any sense to me that even the AC56 have an very good shield on the usb port, not just some black tape on other router but for the ac68 does not have any shield whatsoever.

I agree that if it's indeed the case, it's quite odd, especially since the RT-AC68U was launched a few months after the RT-AC56U, which did include a shield.

I'm not entirely sure it's really a shielding issue. If that were the case, simply disabling the 2.4 GHz radio would resolve the issue - should be a simple test for someone with an RT-AC68U to try.

I agree that if it's indeed the case, it's quite odd, especially since the RT-AC68U was launched a few months after the RT-AC56U, which did include a shield.

I'm not entirely sure it's really a shielding issue. If that were the case, simply disabling the 2.4 GHz radio would resolve the issue - should be a simple test for someone with an RT-AC68U to try.

i hope rep will come out and explain this, but who would buy a super fast car just to drive 40 miles per hour. another interesting point is that i see new egg selling the ea6900 for 200 thats 50 off from original price and its hard to convince people to buy asus ac68 with this interfering and 20 dollars more than the 1900 routers pack.

Last edited:
FYI

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.217
Added:
- 2.4GHz beamforming UI option.
- Roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.
- Enhanced the USB and NAT throughput.

Fixed:
- Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
- Fixed WPS push button related issues.
- Fixed IPv6 related issues.

For a business, I would agree with your thoughts. However, for my own personal NAS storage, I don't need a dedicated NAS.

The issue I have with the AC56U, as much as I liked it, was that the range is not nearly as good as the N66 or the AC66 that I tried previously. However, with the AC68U, it has the range I need for my house.

Of course, now that I have an option, I would like to get the most bang for the buck for personal use.

Hopefully, the new firmware update addresses some issues.

I sent a PM to Tim asking if he would re-try the USB and 2.4ghz tests with the newly released firmware.

I just installed the latest version referenced to in a post before, it does make things a bit faster but it is still pretty pathetic compared to others. I was getting UP TO 40 but it would average around 25-30. Before I was around 20-25 and never hitting over 30.

Another thing to note; I had to disable the Reducing USB 3.0 interference setting so my usb3 drive would show up. The router would not detect the drive unless I disabled that setting. Drive worked fine in USB 2, speeds were about the same actually.

I just installed the latest version referenced to in a post before, it does make things a bit faster but it is still pretty pathetic compared to others. I was getting UP TO 40 but it would average around 25-30. Before I was around 20-25 and never hitting over 30.

Another thing to note; I had to disable the Reducing USB 3.0 interference setting so my usb3 drive would show up. The router would not detect the drive unless I disabled that setting. Drive worked fine in USB 2, speeds were about the same actually.

I thought Asus pulled their firmware release?

I didn't see it on the asus website but I googled that version and found a link someone had posted with the file.

FW 374_217 did greatly improve USB 3.0 performance, making it reach the exact same performance as the R7000. There was a bug in 374_205 where USB3 devices were being accessed by the kernel as if they were USB2 devices, hence performance being capped at about 25 MB/s

Not sure what other issues 217 introduced which prompted Asus to pull it, so I wouldn't recommend using it except for testing purposes.

In any case, Asus should have a new firmware available either this week or next.

FW 374_217 did greatly improve USB 3.0 performance, making it reach the exact same performance as the R7000. There was a bug in 374_205 where USB3 devices were being accessed by the kernel as if they were USB2 devices, hence performance being capped at about 25 MB/s

Not sure what other issues 217 introduced which prompted Asus to pull it, so I wouldn't recommend using it except for testing purposes.

In any case, Asus should have a new firmware available either this week or next.

Good to know! I'm in the "ac68u vs r7000" decision stage and want to want the asus for some reason while the netgear seems better based on Tim's review. This at least helps level the playing field.

Good to know! I'm in the "ac68u vs r7000" decision stage and want to want the asus for some reason while the netgear seems better based on Tim's review. This at least helps level the playing field.

HI,

When evaluating also consider long term support by vendor and openess.
Had very bad experiences with Netgear for my WNDR3700 and went to ASUS, specifically because of the vendor support and openess, exchanging features with RMerlin etc.
In the medium term I get much better support and a much better likelihood of defects beign addressed.

Cheers

HI,

When evaluating also consider long term support by vendor and openess.
Had very bad experiences with Netgear for my WNDR3700 and went to ASUS, specifically because of the vendor support and openess, exchanging features with RMerlin etc.
In the medium term I get much better support and a much better likelihood of defects beign addressed.

Cheers

I don't want to get too far off topic, but... Amazon reviews mention signal degradation on the 5 GHz band that requires rebooting the router every few days to recover from. I think one of the reviewers said the ac66u still suffers from this? This is my only other concern regarding the ac68u right now.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but... Amazon reviews mention signal degradation on the 5 GHz band that requires rebooting the router every few days to recover from. I think one of the reviewers said the ac66u still suffers from this? This is my only other concern regarding the ac68u right now.

i got same concern about 5Ghz issue, waiting for Rmerlin to confirm it.

I would be happy with Slow at this point...

Whew, a frustrating few days. I now have the condition where neither a Toshiba 1.5TB external drive or a WD 1TB drive work with the RT-AC68U.

I have tried both USB ports, and in all cases, the router appears to attempt to mount the drive, then power cycle the drive (and possibly itself). The router becomes unresponsive and requires a power cycle to get it back (without the disk plugged in).

I have tried both versions of Asus firmware. At this point, I have 0 USB ports - how's that for slow ;-)

If it wasn't for the hope of an asuswrt-merlin fw load at some point, this router would be back on it's way to Amazon.

Merlin - tell Asus there is at least 1 customer they can thank you for!!!

I have not noticed this, I have had the router since Oct 3rd and never had a 5Ghz slowdown, I use a Galaxy S4 and an iPad 3 on 5Ghz. I have also been using three WL-ANT157 antennas since Oct 5th. I have rebooted once when my ISP or cable modem went odd and my WAN slowed to a crawl. The reboot of the router didn't help but powering down everything and calling my ISP did. I did flash to firmware 3.0.0.4.374.205 (from 158) as soon as I got the RT-AC68U powered up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!