What's new

RT-AC68U slower with new FW versions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Muyfa666

Regular Contributor
Is it expected for a AC68U to be slower with the newer firmware updates or am I doing something wrong? What is the exact procedure to completely reset the router after a major upgrade?

The latest XXX.52_X bogged down the router so I couldn't stand it.

I've been using john9527's 374.43 fork, but the router seem to have lost some of it's magic.

Is it the hardware in the router that can't keep up anymore? Do I really need to update to eg. AC87? I'd rather not thou...

After upgrade go to Administration / Restore/Save/Upload Setting/ and press Restore buton for Factory Default.
no need to hw update.

The latest XXX.52_X bogged down the router so I couldn't stand it.

You'll have to be more specific in what you mean by "bogged down". The RT-AC68U has no problem routing over 600-700 Mbps of traffic with even the latest firmwares.

Ok, my bad. I'll try to explain my problems.

When using XXX.52_X (the latest I tried) all usage, eg. web surfing got really slow from laptop or mobile if downloading something at the same time from the main computer. Almost like some malfunctioning QoS (which I don't use at all). This hasen't been the case with john's fork.

Ok, my bad. I'll try to explain my problems.

When using XXX.52_X (the latest I tried) all usage, eg. web surfing got really slow from laptop or mobile if downloading something at the same time from the main computer. Almost like some malfunctioning QoS (which I don't use at all). This hasen't been the case with john's fork.

This is probably a configuration or environment related issue. Newer firmware releases should not generate any such slowdown in Internet performance.

Ok. I'll try the XXX.53 then.

What would you say is the exact reset procedure recommended?

Ok. I'll try the XXX.53 then.

What would you say is the exact reset procedure recommended?

Flash new firmware. Then once booted with the new firmware, press the reset button for 5 seconds, then release it.

Once it's rebooted, proceed with manually reconfiguring your settings.

Ok. No clear NVRAM and that stuff?
Holding down the reset button for 5 secs is another way to do a reset to factory defaults (clear NVRAM). Then you can configure things from a clean slate.

I also wouldn't expect anything like you describe, so am watching to see if anything comes up that we need to learn.

My RT-AC68U was never as responsive as it is with Merlin's builds. Every new update seems to make it even better. 53 is running like a champ here.

Actually .53 seem very fast and stable, even thou it's only a day later. Weird. .52_X never worked good for me...