What's new

RT-AC68U speeds on 2.4Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Fisher

New Around Here
Guys, I recently upgraded my internet plan from 100MBPS to 500MBPS. When I was on 100MBPS, I used to get 100+ or -10 exceeding my expectations. When I moved to 500MBPS, upgraded to DOCSIS3.1 and when I ran thru Ethernet using my PC, I get 450-MBPS. But when I do speed test sitting next to wireless router I still get only 80-100MBPS. Used WiFi analyzer disabled many things and enabled some based on feedback from different posts. No Luck. I am on 384.13 Merlin build. I have even reset the wireless router and a new SSID. Any suggestions are appreciated. On 5Ghz, I get some decent like 300-450MBPS.

Last edited:
Guys, I recently upgraded my internet plan from 100MBPS to 500MBPS. When I was on 100MBPS, I used to get 100+ or -10 exceeding my expectations. When I moved to 500MBPS, upgraded to DOCSIS3.1 and when I ran thru Ethernet using my PC, I get 450-MBPS. But when I do speed test sitting next to wireless router I still get only 80-100MBPS. Used WiFi analyzer disabled many things and enabled some based on feedback from different posts. No Luck. I am on 384.13 Merlin build. I have even reset the wireless router and a new SSID. Any suggestions are appreciated. On 5Ghz, I get some decent like 300-450MBPS.
It depends on your client device, the number of data streams and the bandwidth setting of your router.
Here some numbers:
  • 1 data stream 802.11n @ 20 MHz = 72 Mbps.
  • 1 data stream 802.11n @ 40 MHz = 150 Mbps.
  • 1 data stream 802.11ac @ 80 MHz = 433 Mbps.
The final throughput can go down to half of those numbers or less.
More parallel data streams get summed.

It depends on your client device, the number of data streams and the bandwidth setting of your router.
Here some numbers:
  • 1 data stream 802.11n @ 20 MHz = 72 Mbps.
  • 1 data stream 802.11n @ 40 MHz = 150 Mbps.
  • 1 data stream 802.11ac @ 80 MHz = 433 Mbps.
The final throughput can go down to half of those numbers or less.
More parallel data streams get summed.
I see everyone recommending 20Mhz for 2.4Ghz. Do I need to keep it at 80Mhz?

20>40>80 always doubling speed, you have to decide what you want and need, distance of clients to router, and what is going on in your neighbourhood!!!
Usually one would use 20 for 2.4G and 80 in 5GHz band.

Don't post the same questions in multiple places, it only confuses everyone by splitting any discussions. Locking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!