What's new

RT-AC68U (T-Mobile) wont flash to latest merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Aghakhabian

New Around Here
I followed a guide for flashing the tm-ac1900 to rt-ac68u some months ago. It has worked and I have been using the asus merlin release firmware since then. I have done some updates of the firmware in the past and it has worked but now im on 384.5 and im trying to flash it to 384.6 as that is the latest release firmware but it is not working. The loading bar starts, gets to 100% reverts to the initial setup page, I enter in some info like the ssid, password. etc. and then when i get to the gui and check the current firmware it is still on 384.5. what seems to be the issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur, Unfortunately, there's no more help/advice available for this unit on the forums. T-Mobile's official build for this is dated; it's doubtful they'll ever bring their build up to a safe standard such as can be applied to the regular Asus branded AC68, which won't have any such issues if you wish to use Merlin FW.

There's another site (you might search 'Bay Area') which has a core group of enthusiasts who apply different non-supported FW builds, but you'll need to bone up on everything that's been written if you want to stick with non-supported FW. The low-cost supply of the refurbed TM units are being held/sold by relatively few sellers who hawk them at outrageous prices. If it were me, it would be fair to say you'd be better off (and much better-supported) by simply investing in the fully supported Asus RT-AC68, which has no such issues; it's only a few bucks more. It doesn't help with the troubles you're having now, but its a better way forward unless you want to try a 66-B1 or higher model. The TM unit is getting quite long in the tooth, and even though it's still a capable tool, it had a great run. For all practical official purposes, if you wish to run Asus or Merlin FW on yours, you're out of luck. Sorry, Cheers.

Last edited:
Sanna; hopefully it will, sooner than later.this router is officially finished, and no one will help, at least on this forum . One would think that the official announcement which Merlin posted would alert people they need to move on, it certainly seems clear enough. Human nature being what it is (at least for those who aren't trolls). there are far too many people who won't take the time and trouble to do their own research themselves, or mistakenly follow old posts out there on other sites which point to past threads on SNB, then they don't search the site before posting. The answers are elsewhere and while Merlin isn't supported, there are other possibilities for hobbyists who cling to their beloved TM model. It may come to the point that no one will bother replying, except to point to the announcement. To those who still want answers, they just need to do the legwork and search elsewhere Cheers.

Sanna; hopefully it will, sooner than later.this router is officially finished, and no one will help, at least on this forum . One would think that the official announcement which Merlin posted would alert people they need to move on, it certainly seems clear enough. Human nature being what it is (at least for those who aren't trolls). there are far too many people who won't take the time and trouble to do their own research themselves, or mistakenly follow old posts out there on other sites which point to past threads on SNB, then they don't search the site before posting. The answers are elsewhere and while Merlin isn't supported, there are other possibilities for hobbyists who cling to their beloved TM model. It may come to the point that no one will bother replying, except to point to the announcement. To those who still want answers, they just need to do the legwork and search elsewhere Cheers.
So @ste3v3n, your learned opinion here, for other potential ASUS customers, is to shun all current RT-AC1900 family products because they are "officially finished"?
There is no provable, appreciable hardware difference between a TM-AC1900 and a RT-AC68x. I find that your assertion is ridiculous and unproved. They all can run the same firmware once they have been cleansed. ASUS, Merlin, it makes no difference. I challenge you, ASUS, and Merlin to prove me wrong. Blocking the technical details on SNB does not make them invalid or invisible. One needs only to search to a non-ASUS sponsored site.

The reason behind Tim's policy here are purely legal, not technical.

I think this discussion has run its course. The original OP got his answer already (flashing fails due to safeguards put in place by Asus), locking this.

If you have a problem with these forums' policies, feel free to contact @thiggins via private message. He decides on the forums policies, and I totally support him.

Status
Not open for further replies.