What's new

RT-AC68U temperatures

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mario

New Around Here
These temperatures seems high to me. Are these normal?

2014-05-18_09-23-55.png

84C is about the mid-range for most appliance-based CPUs with no active cooling, in my experience.

Most of them don't shut down until you get into the 100C range.

Cooling fan?

Has anyone found a USB powered
Code:
cooling fan that can fit onto the back of the AC68U?

It does seem to run very hot.

Has anyone found a USB powered
Code:
cooling fan that can fit onto the back of the AC68U?

It does seem to run very hot.

It's not really needed the 68u CPU it designed to handle the heat unless it's getting over 90. Mine only runs a 71 so not sure if your router is in a room that needs more ventilation or cooler temps. The highest mine ever goes is 77 and that's when the room hits 85 F and then it's time to hit the air conditioner anyway.

It's not really needed the 68u CPU it designed to handle the heat unless it's getting over 90. Mine only runs a 71 so not sure if your router is in a room that needs more ventilation or cooler temps. The highest mine ever goes is 77 and that's when the room hits 85 F and then it's time to hit the air conditioner anyway.

your router is a probably in a cool room, but for most people there router will be in a room 68-72F or hotter

i believe the TJ Max is about 140C on these CPU's.

my intel computer CPU has TJ Max of 105C

i think most AMD cards have TJ Max of 110-120C (120 is my guess)

i think a while back someone said rt-ac66u can go to 140C TJ Max, but not sure.

Well, one thing is what's ALLOWED and another is what's ADVISED. It's definity not advisable to run ANY electronic component on 80 and more degrees for a long time, since it shortens it's usefull life. I have rt-ac66u, so my temps are lower, but if i've had such high temps i would certainly mount a small usb powered fan. First thing that will fail eventually are electrolytic capacitors. They don't like anything hotter than ambient temperature...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check CPU Temp in Stock Firmware

Is there a way to check the CPU & Radio temps in the stock firmware?

Is there a way to check the CPU & Radio temps in the stock firmware?

Through telnet. CPU temperature:

Code:
cat /proc/dmu/temperature

For the radio temperature, it's more complicated.

Code:
wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense

The result must be divided by two, then add 20 to the result.

CPU = 87 C

Through telnet. CPU temperature:

Code:
cat /proc/dmu/temperature
For the radio temperature, it's more complicated.
Code:
wl -i eth1 phy_tempsense
wl -i eth2 phy_tempsense

The result must be divided by two, then add 20 to the result.

Thanks very much :)

I got these results:-

NO FAN - Room Temp = 23c

CPU 87 C (87?C)
Radio 1 = 56.5 C (73/2 +20)
Radio 2 = 57 C (74/2 +20)

WITH FAN - Room Temp = 28c

CPU 69 C
Radio 1 = 48 C
Radio 2 = 48.5 C

The room doesn't have aircon 24/7 so I took your advice & installed a USB fan … though the noise is getting on my nerves so I might get a smaller one :)

Anyone got advice on a better (and quieter) fan?

Attachments

• AC68 Fan.jpg
    AC68 Fan.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 4,730
Last edited by a moderator:
My AC68U is running about 95 celcius on average (I've seen it go to above 100 temporarily). It is located in a closet behind a bunch of coats and jackets. That is the only place I could put it in my apartment.

I, too, would like to know if there are any USB cooling fan solutions I can attach to the router. I have very limited space so the smaller the fan, the better.

Smaller fans are louder than big fans because small fans have to spin quicker to move same air.
Anyway it seems to me that you're a little crazy in putting fans... if you put a fan in a router with a very basic ARM processor... what should you do with your smartphones?! Also I prefer that my router "only" last x years without having the noise of a fan 24/24 than making it last x years+1 (to be proven) with a permanent fan that is not needed at all..

Indeed, you don't need any extra cooling on AC68U even with overclocking.

Datasheets on these kind of CPU's have a TJ max. of 130º.

my 2nd 68u arrived today, 1st is running about 71 the new ones running at 91, RMA raised with amazon so a new one arrives tomorrow!

That's not the first case and will not be the last, thats a proof of ASUS control quality failing, even that the router could work perfectly fine at those temperatures.

I had the same difference of temperature on 2 different AC68U's and they are exactly the same HW revision, the problem is the heatsink installation.

I had a quick look and couldn't see how to pop it open without risking damage or it would have been sorted by now!

If you open it you will void your warranty, ask for replacement.

Use usb2.0 port for the fan, as provides lower wattage, thus will slow the fan down and make it a tad quieter.

Also get a small piece of foam and place the fan on top of it, thus will reduce the vibration that echo's from the wooden desk. Use dark gray packaging foam.

I have same fan, and it is poorly balanced, thus its louder then it should be.

If you brave enough, splice a resistor in to fans cabling to slow it down even more.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!