What's new

Rt-ac68u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Why would you even bother? Besides bragging rights, how are you going to take advantage of the 600 Mbps link rate in 2.4 GHz?

This and the Linksys EA6900 announced today are just marketing ploys to suck money from your wallet.

I am more concerned with longevity of technology. I currently have a DIR655 which has by far lived its life; still a good router, but a significant amount of problems are beginning to form. When I purchase something, I tend to hope it will survive for at least 3 years.

So I guess I will reform my query. Do you think this router will be constantly supported for awhile (obviously not the full 3 years) - still be maintained with AC is finally complete; and be able to perform the demands in a SOHO/Media environment (smart TVs, multiple DLNA streams, powerline, multiple computers/servers - etc).

What will I be really gaining by going to the 68u vs the 66u. No matter the amount of searching I do - I still cannot find real comparisons (likely because it just came out in Singapore as a demo).

How does 600 mbps 2.4ghz work? That's not ac.

Broadcom proprietary TurboQAM technology. With compatible interfaces, it will allow up to 600 Mbps with 802.11n.

Think of it as something similar to the Afterburner tech from the 802.11g days, where they were pushing it to 108 Mbps.

Man I hate proprietary stuff. Marketing gimmicks. If the chips could reliably do it, it should be in the standard. I use intel nics anyway. Hope they release an AC centrino card.

Preorder availablity....

The stores im Sweden have it as a preorder now for just $ 421 , people with money left to spend - now it is the time to spend it so Asus can sell more ....
I am still waiting for the problems in the AC66U to be solved.

It's more a matter of availability really. The router hasn't launched yet (it was a limited stock launch at Comex), and my contact at Asus in the US only had one unit for his own lab.

Man I hate proprietary stuff. Marketing gimmicks. If the chips could reliably do it, it should be in the standard. I use intel nics anyway. Hope they release an AC centrino card.

The problem is this was designed years after the 802.11n standards was finalised. So the only way to extend upon it (short of switching everyone to 802.11ac) is to go the proprietary route. Not saying that makes it any better, but I understand the reasons behind it.

Glad to see that N is not dead yet. Can't wait to see how the 600 Mbps performs on 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Glad to see that N is not dead yet. Can't wait to see how the 600 Mbps performs on 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Yeah, that way they get to sell new clients, as well. More $'s for them.

Hi All,

Just to clarify, to see the 600Mbps on 2.4Ghz, it requires you to own a PCE-AC66 or PCE-AC68. No other adapters (from ASUS) supports TurboQAM currently.

No ETA yet, but you can expect the RT-AC68U within the next few months.

What is the point of implementing a 802.11n tweak, which can be used only if both router and client are 802.11ac models? :D

What is the point of implementing a 802.11n tweak, which can be used only if both router and client are 802.11ac models? :D

The increase range on the 2.4 GHz band vs the 5 GHz band might make it desirable when trying to reach a router from accros the house. 802.11ac only works on the shorter ranged 5 GHz band.

No ETA yet, but you can expect the RT-AC68U within the next few months.

So it could be until November before I see this router? Why was the router announced in June if it wouldn't be out for so long? Is there issues with the router? It just seems weird to me, mind you I have never kept up with the router world but I was hoping to buy the latest and greatest router so I figured I would wait for the 68U but now I'm questioning if that was a poor choice.

If Asus announces a new product the same day it gets mass-released, people who bought the older model two days before will be pissed.

If Asus announces a new product 3 months before it gets mass-released, people waiting for it get annoyed because they want everything right now.

There's just no way to please everyone I guess :(

If Asus announces a new product the same day it gets mass-released, people who bought the older model two days before will be pissed.

If Asus announces a new product 3 months before it gets mass-released, people waiting for it get annoyed because they want everything right now.

To be fair it has already been over 3 months and I kind of expected 2-3 months, but if it turns out to be 5 months that is kind of crazy IMO. If they would have just announced an expected ship month so people could make an informed decision I think everyone would be happy.

To be fair it has already been over 3 months and I kind of expected 2-3 months, but if it turns out to be 5 months that is kind of crazy IMO. If they would have just announced an expected ship month so people could make an informed decision I think everyone would be happy.
It is not uncommon for six months or more to pass between product announcement and first ship. That is often what happens with products introduced in January at CES.

Manufacturers often announce early to have consumers do exactly what you are doing, hold off on purchasing a competitor's product while you wait for theirs.

Announce a product, with a retail release date. How hard can it be?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!