What's new

RT-AC68W USB share woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radiologyman

New Around Here
Hello, everybody!

Hello, I got RT-AC68W on the latest official firmware. I run media server connected to my laptop. However, when I plug in these hard drives into USB ports of the Asus router, the sharing behavior is inconsistent. The drives show up in ASUS browser based utility for ftp share and samba share, however, only occasionally I get same drives to show up in Windows explorer as a network drive. It does show up as media device that I can't browse. I thought that maybe it did not like 3 TB drive I had and tested it with another drive which was recognized initially. I filled it up with media files and oh, now it would not show up in Windows. Asus router and AI cloud app can see it just fine. Admittedly, I am a novice when it comes to home networking and I only care if the files are accessible from local network. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello, everybody!

Hello, I got RT-AC68W on the latest official firmware. I run media server connected to my laptop. However, when I plug in these hard drives into USB ports of the Asus router, the sharing behavior is inconsistent. The drives show up in ASUS browser based utility for ftp share and samba share, however, only occasionally I get same drives to show up in Windows explorer as a network drive. It does show up as media device that I can't browse. I thought that maybe it did not like 3 TB drive I had and tested it with another drive which was recognized initially. I filled it up with media files and oh, now it would not show up in Windows. Asus router and AI cloud app can see it just fine. Admittedly, I am a novice when it comes to home networking and I only care if the files are accessible from local network. Thanks!
They should show up. Try disconnecting the drive in {my computer} then remap the drive.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!