What's new

RT-AC86U boot loop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hm736

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
i have the problem that my RT-AC86U is boot looped.
The router reboots automatically every day and sometimes i already had the problem that it didn’t start correctly by itself but a manuell restart fixed it until now.
I can’t access the web GUI and i already restored the firmware via the rescuemode but this didn’t helped.
Do you guys have other suggestions what i could do and it’s a little bit late to ask but do I void my warranty when I install a CFW like Merlin? Thank you.

Hello,
i have the problem that my RT-AC86U is boot looped.
The router reboots automatically every day and sometimes i already had the problem that it didn’t start correctly by itself but a manuell restart fixed it until now.
I can’t access the web GUI and i already restored the firmware via the rescuemode but this didn’t helped.
Do you guys have other suggestions what i could do and it’s a little bit late to ask but do I void my warranty when I install a CFW like Merlin? Thank you.

Using RMerlin firmware will not void a warranty. What firmware do you have installed?

How are you trying to access the GUI? 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.50.1? Do you set your computer to a manual IP address of either 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.50.10 when using those IP's?

Have you tried a WPS NVRAM erase?

Using RMerlin firmware will not void a warranty. What firmware do you have installed?

How are you trying to access the GUI? 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.50.1? Do you set your computer to a manual IP address of either 192.168.1.10 or 192.168.50.10 when using those IP's?

Have you tried a WPS NVRAM erase?
That’s good to know thank you.
I had the latest public release installed 384.10_2.

I use 192.168.1.1 for the GUI.
For the rescue mode i set it to 192.168.1.10 and after it was completed and waiting some time i tried to access the GUI again but it was still not possible.

No, is this even possible without the GUI? I think the router don’t have a WPS button only the reset, power and the LED button.

I think the router don’t have a WPS button only the reset, power and the LED button.

There is no WPS button on the side above WLAN button???
Then you got a different router from an RT-AC86U.

There is no WPS button on the side above WLAN button???
Then you got a different router from an RT-AC86U.
omg yeah i found them, didn’t know those buttons exist... they are so sneaky on the side :confused:

I could get the router now booted and set it up but now wifi isn’t working.
In the in the router settings it says WiFi is on but the LEDs are not on and I can’t find the router with my devices either.
I already reset it again but this didn’t helped.
It’s also configured as a wireless router.
The network protocol says:
Not associated. Last associated with
Mode : AP Only

omg yeah i found them, didn’t know those buttons exist... they are so sneaky on the side :confused:

I could get the router now booted and set it up but now wifi isn’t working.
In the in the router settings it says WiFi is on but the LEDs are not on and I can’t find the router with my devices either.
I already reset it again but this didn’t helped.
It’s also configured as a wireless router.
The network protocol says:
Not associated. Last associated with
Mode : AP Only

Maybe you inadvertently hit the side WiFi OFF switch.

OE

Maybe you inadvertently hit the side WiFi OFF switch.

OE
Nope I don’t think so. The router settings say it’s on and is on channel 0 and can’t be used because of the AP mode but the router is definitely in the standard wireless mode. When I press the WiFi button nothing happens or changing the mode either. :(

Nope I don’t think so. The router settings say it’s on and is on channel 0 and can’t be used because of the AP mode but the router is definitely in the standard wireless mode. When I press the WiFi button nothing happens or changing the mode either. :(

If disable Auto Control Channel and you pick one yourself (1, 6, 11 only for 2.4GHz and 48 or 161 for 5GHz) does it work?

If not, do a full reset to factory defaults while you can. The router does not seem stable how you're describing it.

Please see the link in my signature below for the M&M Config to get your router to a good/known state.

If disable Auto Control Channel and you pick one yourself (1, 6, 11 only for 2.4GHz and 48 or 161 for 5GHz) does it work?

If not, do a full reset to factory defaults while you can. The router does not seem stable how you're describing it.

Please see the link in my signature below for the M&M Config to get your router to a good/known state.
Unfortunately I can’t select a channel only automatic is available.

I already did a full restore a few times but WiFi is still not working. :(

Is the unit itself maybe faulty?

Unfortunately I can’t select a channel only automatic is available.

I already did a full restore a few times but WiFi is still not working. :(

Is the unit itself maybe faulty?

It is beginning to look like that.

Are you able to flash the same firmware on it or an updated firmware version? Afterward, can you do a reset to factory defaults?

It is beginning to look like that.

Are you able to flash the same firmware on it or an updated firmware version? Afterward, can you do a reset to factory defaults?
I flashed it with the latest stock firmware from ASUS and the latest from Merlin but on booth it’s the same problem.
I already tested the factory reset too but WiFi was still not working.

I also tested to load my saved settings but then it was in a boot loop again.

Do an electrical reset.

1) Turn router off
2) Unplug power
3) Turn it on for about 5 secs, to drain any residual charge
4) Turn it off
5) Plug back it, turn it on

I flashed it with the latest stock firmware from ASUS and the latest from Merlin but on booth it’s the same problem.
I already tested the factory reset too but WiFi was still not working.

I also tested to load my saved settings but then it was in a boot loop again.

Please see post 8 and follow the M&M Guide to get your router fully and properly reset. Do not use your saved settings file.

Do an electrical reset.

1) Turn router off
2) Unplug power
3) Turn it on for about 5 secs, to drain any residual charge
4) Turn it off
5) Plug back it, turn it on
Tested this as well but unfortunately it didn’t helped :/

Please see post 8 and follow the M&M Guide to get your router fully and properly reset. Do not use your saved settings file.
I only tested it once with the saved settings and I also followed the guide but the WiFi issue is still there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!