What's new

RT-AC86U / Connection problems after scheduled reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Emanuel Paul

Occasional Visitor
Hi together

Since the newest firmware release (384.8_2) I have the following problem.

Varuant 1: After the scheduled reboot I get no WiFi connection anymore. I have to restart the router by using the hardware power button.

Variant 2: It also happens that after scheduled reboot I get WiFi connection, but the router shows no signal from internet provider. In this case I can do a reboot from GUI but this leads into variant 1 and I have to reboot with power button...

Does anyone else have the same problem? And what is the solution?

Hi together

Since the newest firmware release (384.8_2) I have the following problem.

Varuant 1: After the scheduled reboot I get no WiFi connection anymore. I have to restart the router by using the hardware power button.

Variant 2: It also happens that after scheduled reboot I get WiFi connection, but the router shows no signal from internet provider. In this case I can do a reboot from GUI but this leads into variant 1 and I have to reboot with power button...

Does anyone else have the same problem? And what is the solution?

Reboot (& wifi) scheduling has been broken in factory & Merlin firmware for some time.
Working ‘sometimes’ about the best that can be hoped for........

Reboot (& wifi) scheduling has been broken in factory & Merlin firmware for some time.

Thanks.

I knew that the scheduled reboot sometimes stopped working and only switch off/on helped to solve this for a few days. But since the new firmware, it's even worse. Now the scheduled reboot breaks the connections. That never happend before last firmware update.

But as I wrote, I had the issue with no WiFi also after a REBOOT WITH THE REBOOT BUTTON IN THE USER INTERFACE, and that has nothing to do with scheduled reboot...

It's not a big problem, if the scheduled reboot sometimes does not work, but it's a big problem, if it or even a manually made reboot disconnects your device from internet or WiFi.

So they're not working on a solution but on improving the bug!

This looks like a big deal.

It sounds as though the RT-AC86U cannot be deployed in a remote location which is visited infrequently.

(Unless of course we rely on everything working so well that a reboot is never needed.)

Did I understand correctly ?

Emanuel Paul wrote,
But as I wrote, I had the issue with no WiFi also after a REBOOT WITH THE REBOOT BUTTON IN THE USER INTERFACE, and that has nothing to do with scheduled reboot...

Yes, I’ve had that happen too. Only once or twice.

This just happened to my AC-86U last night. The router was not responding this morning and everything was basically off despite of the power button was still on.

I have had this issue on the 86 as well.

How to solve it? Cheep "vacation" light timer.
It sucks but this has been an issue for so long I have given up trying to find another way.

Last edited:
If you want to restart the router, don't use the schedule.
Use a timer receptacle that can do a 1-2 minute interval.
You don't want the power to be gone for 5-10 minutes after all.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!