What's new

RT-AC86U not routing any more after upgrading to Merlin firmware 384.16 - any suggestions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shasarak

Regular Contributor
I'm running an Asus RT-AC86U, with Asuswrt-Merlin.

Before upgrading to 384.16 everything was okay; but since the upgrade the router is no longer able to connect to the Internet. The Web UI works okay, WiFi is up and accepting connections, but it claims the ISP is not responding correctly to DHCP requests. That could be true, I suppose... but that it should start claiming this immediately after an upgrade is suspicious timing.

It's connected to a Virgin Media "Superhub 3" in modem mode. (I'm in the UK). The Virgin hub reports that it's connected to the Internet okay (and switching it temporarily into router mode worked okay too) so there's no obvious problem there.

I've tried rebooting everything several times - didn't help. I've also tried reflashing 384.15, but that hasn't helped either. What's the next step?

I'm running an Asus RT-AC86U, with Asuswrt-Merlin.

Before upgrading to 384.16 everything was okay; but since the upgrade the router is no longer able to connect to the Internet. The Web UI works okay, WiFi is up and accepting connections, but it claims the ISP is not responding correctly to DHCP requests. That could be true, I suppose... but that it should start claiming this immediately after an upgrade is suspicious timing.

It's connected to a Virgin Media "Superhub 3" in modem mode. (I'm in the UK). The Virgin hub reports that it's connected to the Internet okay (and switching it temporarily into router mode worked okay too) so there's no obvious problem there.

I've tried rebooting everything several times - didn't help. I've also tried reflashing 384.15, but that hasn't helped either. What's the next step?
sounds ike something is major messedup, take screencaps of your settings and upgrade to 384.16 then factory reset so as new..dont forget backup scripts folder if needed prior

sounds ike something is major messedup, take screencaps of your settings and upgrade to 384.16 then factory reset so as new..dont forget backup scripts folder if needed prior
I've done a factory reset, and that didn't help. Is there anything else I can try?

factory reset and enter ALL settings manually - dont restore from backup.

I was getting "Dual NAT" error on my xbox one with AC68U + 384-16, reverted back to 384-15 and its solved.

I took my AC86U back to Asus firmware the other day just to see what it would do. Going back to Merlin I messed up and had issues. I eventually went back to 384.15 and applied saved config file and /jffs which got me working. Research showed me I likely did not reset to factory correctly. The AC86U is not like my old AC66U_B1.

To get it fully reset, power off, hold in the WPS button on the side and turn the power back on holding the WPS button until the power LED goes off then turn off the power. Power back up and reconfigure manually. I am now running 384.16 and the AC86U runs well! But, my two AC68U's will not start OpenVPN Server 1 on reboot. Still researching this and will post more on this later.

I had what sounds like the same problem. Fixed by doing a rescue install of latest ASUS firmware and then updating firmware to 384.16. I had a lot of problems getting ASUS' firmware rescue to work, always reported my AC86U wasn't in rescue mode, but a few online threads on the Linksys forums suggested rebooting my computer, which surprisingly worked. Good luck.