What's new

RT-AC86U (on Merlin) "Access Point Temporarily Full" Issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

username0475

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-AC86U (on Merlin v_ 386.11) & today the wireless devices that were part of my 60 devices ecosystem were rendered inoperable by an "Access Point Temporarily Full" message (saw it on my cell phone).

Everything was off-line except for my hard wired connect (to router) desktop PC.
But wireless devices were mostly impacted.

I rebooted & everything is fine now.

What could be causing this?

It could be exactly what the message says. How many devices do you have connected to each band? For example, on my RT-AX86U the maximum number of devices that can be connected to 2.4GHz is 128 and on 5GHz it's 64.

It could be exactly what the message says. How many devices do you have connected to each band? For example, on my RT-AX86U the maximum number of devices that can be connected to 2.4GHz is 128 and on 5GHz it's 64.
It's pretty much split 65/35 % (out of 60) between 2.4 & 5 GHz.

Only thing different in the last 3 years of owning this is I added a Water Sensor hub (running 5 sensors) to a network switch I had.
Else, with family & guests visiting have had it up into the 70's with no issues.

Last edited:
As you've rebooted and the problem has gone away there's probably very little we can see now. You could upload your complete System Log for us to look at if it still contains the period when the problem occurred.

As you've rebooted and the problem has gone away there's probably very little we can see now. You could upload your complete System Log for us to look at if it still contains the period when the problem occurred.
I'll take a look when I get home from work but doubt it will still be there from yesterday.

Do u know if there's a setting on the Asus 86-series routers (Merlin) to alter max # of devices?

Do u know if there's a setting on the Asus 86-series routers (Merlin) to alter max # of devices?
Not through the GUI. It's a limitation in the Wi-Fi chip which should already be set at the maximum. Perhaps you had something that was spamming the router with random (aka private) MAC addresses. Do you have any Wi-Fi repeaters on your network? Some of those create virtual MAC addresses.

Not through the GUI. It's a limitation in the Wi-Fi chip which should already be set at the maximum. Perhaps you had something that was spamming the router with random (aka private) MAC addresses. Do you have any Wi-Fi repeaters on your network? Some of those create virtual MAC addresses.
🤔

No Wifi repeater.
Just a bunch of IoT light switches, plugs, water sensors, Ring/Wyze cams on 2.4 predominantly.

Work laptops & mobile devices (phone tablets) on 5Ghz.

When wireless reached the temporary full status, the Ethernet dependent devices (TiVo, Smart TV's, desktop PC) still were connected.

Oddly, my mobile phone switched from using the closest 5 Ghz to the garage AP which is connected to a network PoE switch & was online with the web.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!