What's new

RT-AC86U on TorGuard VPN for months and now issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill W

Occasional Visitor
So this is going to probably sound crazy but here is how this unfolded. I have a dedicated IP address on TorGuard's VPN service and it's been working great for months. Suddenly yesterday morning my Honeywell thermostat said it could not connect to the internet. It was logged into the router it just couldn't see the internet. Today when I was trouble shooting it I power cycled the router and then my Samsung Smartthings could not log back in nor could my Logitech Harmony remote. Now if I turn off the VPN it works fine. If I change the VPN to one of their non-public connections it works fine. I had them assign me a different dedicated address and it still will not work. What in the world could I possibly be missing?

Running the latest firmware 384.13.

Thanks for any ideas.

I haven't had any issues with TorGuard on my router, but I can't get any ips to connect via their Android App.

So this is going to probably sound crazy but here is how this unfolded. I have a dedicated IP address on TorGuard's VPN service and it's been working great for months. Suddenly yesterday morning my Honeywell thermostat said it could not connect to the internet. It was logged into the router it just couldn't see the internet. Today when I was trouble shooting it I power cycled the router and then my Samsung Smartthings could not log back in nor could my Logitech Harmony remote. Now if I turn off the VPN it works fine. If I change the VPN to one of their non-public connections it works fine. I had them assign me a different dedicated address and it still will not work. What in the world could I possibly be missing?

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi,
did you have port forward defined at ToG for your dedicated VPN ip address ? if yes, you obviously need to re-create them as well as your iptables command on the router side.
Finally, I think the problem is rather on the TOG side (BTW, have been using ToG for more than a year without any serious issues)

GS

N.B.: I have one of my NAS protected by (ToG) openvpn client 2 and sometimes the NAS looses its connection to internet, but then I simply stop & start the client in the GUI and it is back to business in no time ...

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues with TorGuard on my router, but I can't get any ips to connect via their Android App.

... strange. Here, absolutely no issue at all with their Android app ....

Thanks for any ideas.
I've been using torguard for ages since xentrk put me on to it.I have a dedicated US ip address and haven't had an issue. I am not that tech savy so I gave torguard remote access to my router and they set it all up for me.Super impressed

Last edited:
I've been using torguard for ages since xentrk put me on to it.I have a dedicated US ip address and haven't had an issue. I am not that tech savy so I gave torguard remote access to my router and they set it all up for me.Super impressed

Ya I have been too. This is just driving me nuts. I'm going to set it up from scratch on one of the other VPN selections on the router and configure it without looking at the current one. Maybe something got hosed that I'm just not seeing since the connection to the public one works.

How does this compare to your dedicated address setup?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 244
Might have fixed it. Changed the Accept DNS Configuration from Strict to Disabled and now everything seems to be happy. At least for the moment.

Update... ya it looks like that's fixed it. Not sure how it got changed but all better finally. Also not sure why that just impacted a few things. Oddly they were all 2.4Ghz devices.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!