What's new

RT-AC86U Rebooting over and over

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaddyPDX

Regular Contributor
Hi, Brand new RT-AC86U to upgrade from RT-AC66U. I put the most recent Merlin firmware on it (not Beta).
I connect directly to the ONT (no Centurylink modem) over their VLAN 201. Not sure if that is relevant but since I set this up to mirror my previous AC66U i find that every few minutes it is rebooting. I also see those "buggy" messages in the log. Is this constant rebooting something that anyone has seen and if so, do you know why it might be happening? I have had to revert back to my AC66U until I can resolve this.

What version of firmware? And did you go back to factory defaults using initialize which will wipe everything?

Firmware 384.5 by Merlin. No I didn't reset it back to defaults yet. It took some time configuring it so was hoping not to have to do that. But I guess I'll start there and see if it is stable on the ASUS Version 3.0.0.4.384.20648 which is their most recent stable release.

I initialized and went to the ASUS .20468 firmware and so far so good. Stable for over 24 hours.

Last edited:
Did you go back to Merlin firmware and try again? Mine is rebooting as well. :(

No issues here, with latest Merlin stable firmware. Since firmware upgrade: Uptime 2 days 17 hours 54 minute(s) 8 seconds

I have rt-ac86u with merlin and been running for 3 days + straight without any reboot

I used to have that problem on AC86U 384.4 beta all the way to the 384.4 release. Had to use 384.3. No longer facing any issues on 384.5.

Merlin told me after I shared the logs that I was having crashes in different firmware components (once in httpd, once in networkmap).

Do share the logs for Merlin to at least have a look at what’s causing it.

I have not gone back to Merlin firmware yet. I am slowly bringing it back to the same configurations as it had previously to ensure it is stable on ASUS firmware in the first instance. Once I am satisfied that it is nothing in my configuration that was causing the behavior, I will try Merlin firmware again.
Did you go back to Merlin firmware and try again? Mine is rebooting as well. :(

I used to have that problem on AC86U 384.4 beta all the way to the 384.4 release. Had to use 384.3. No longer facing any issues on 384.5.

Merlin told me after I shared the logs that I was having crashes in different firmware components (once in httpd, once in networkmap).

Do share the logs for Merlin to at least have a look at what’s causing it.
I don't follow... when you say different firmware components, does not his firmware update the device? Mine was factory default at ASUS firmware (the previous one to the current release) then straight to Merlin FW. I was unable to pick and choose components to do FW upgrades on.

Also, how to share the logs with Merlin? Is there a feedback form on his download site?

Mine isn't rebooting either.
Uptime: 4 days 18 hours 50 minute(s) 17 seconds

All stable here running over 5 days 16 hours- No hiccups

I am having a similar issue with my AC86U. It was happening on stock ASUS firmware - I then decided to install Merlin FW 384.5. I did a factory reset both before the flash and after, but it's still rebooting daily. Can anyone take a look at my logs? I'm not sure what to look for personally. Thank you.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    312.6 KB · Views: 534
I had the same issue, even exchanged mine to find the same thing. It's something with advanced settings causing this. Maybe QOS, Game boost, or traffic analyzer... To solve I did a complete reset to factory and ONLY setup the basics of wifi, static DNS, and VPN, and now it's stable. I guess I also turned on AI protection. I'm scared to touch anything else as it's stable right now with 14 days and counting.

I'd start by unplugging the device in switch port 1 and seeing if that makes things more stable.
Code:
:
Jun  5 11:26:50 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Jun  5 11:26:53 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Jun  5 11:26:55 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Jun  5 11:26:58 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Jun  5 11:30:23 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Jun  5 11:30:27 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
:

I'd start by unplugging the device in switch port 1 and seeing if that makes things more stable.
Code:
:
Jun  5 11:26:50 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Jun  5 11:26:53 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
Jun  5 11:26:55 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Jun  5 11:26:58 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex
Jun  5 11:30:23 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link DOWN.
Jun  5 11:30:27 kernel: eth2 (Ext switch port: 1) (Logical Port: 9) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
:
I have an un-managed, 8-port switch connected to that port, that has about 6 devices connected to it. I suppose I can start there, thank you for the suggestion!

My AC86U has been going strong for over 2 days straight now, which is better than the past few weeks. Looks like my Xbox One X was the culprit, which has acted weird from a networking standpoint since I got it on day one. I plugged it into the switch instead, and all seems to be well. Not sure why doing that versus connecting it directly to the router matters, but in my case it does. I plugged my PC into the port on the router where the Xbox was and it does not exhibit the same behavior in the logs.

Does the Xbox have a Wi-Fi connection to the router setup as well as a wired one? That would create a network loop.

Does the Xbox have a Wi-Fi connection to the router setup as well as a wired one? That would create a network loop.
Not that I know of. I have used Wi-Fi briefly on it in the past, but I assumed that once I hardwired it, the Wi-Fi would turn off. I also don’t see it reporting as a connected device on the router via Wi-Fi, only wired.

OK. It was just a thought. I don't have a Xbox. I thought it might be flip-flopping between the wired and wireless connections.

I seen reports from people that say they've had issues with the Xbox's network once it's gone into standby. I don't know the details.