What's new

RT-AC86U stability/range vs AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heyrobscott

New Around Here
I've currently got an RT-AC66U loaded with the latest Merlin using almost all default settings and no special features (no VPN, no QoS, etc).

I'm having significant issue with stability and range on the router, specifically on my iPhone X. When I roam around the house, I often lose internet connectivity for minutes at a time. For some reason I can connect to the router admin page during this time, but I'll have to either wait or cycle wifi to get internet back. Range is fine because once I'm stationary, it usually works fine, but with occasionally drop in and out with same issue even when not moving.

I've tried setting 2.4 and 5g to both separate and identical SSID names, with no differences. 2.4 is Auto and 20mhz, 5g is AC mixed and 20/40/80mhz, both WPA2 AES.

Will upgrading to RT-AC86U help with the stability issues? Or is there something else at play here?

Also, RT-AC86U is the new hotness for ASUS and Merlin, right? I don't need 3 radios, 2 should work just fine.

Thoughts? Thanks for help!

Seems like I remember reading on this site somewhat recently about some iPhone X issues. I can't remember if an iOS update or router firmware update fixed the issue. Do some searching and see what you find.

Some standard items to disable in your trouble shooting should be airtime fairness, both 2.4 Ghz beamforming options and the universal beamforming on the 5 Ghz band.

Yes, the 86U is the new hot Asus router. Unless you have a crap load of 5 Ghz devices I don't think you'll miss the extra radio. And if you plan on using vpn on your router than the 86U is 100% the Asus model to get.

Some standard items to disable in your trouble shooting should be airtime fairness, both 2.4 Ghz beamforming options and the universal beamforming on the 5 Ghz band

I don't have airtime fairness or beam forming settings in my Wireless -> Professional tab, is this something that should be there for the AC66U (original, not B1 revision)? Currently on version 380.69_2

They are probably options that are only available on the newer models. Did you have any luck searching for threads with issues similar to yours? They would most likely be in the AC section or the Merlin section. While probably somewhat tedious searching iPhone should get you to the thread about the iPhone connection issue eventually.

Thanks, I searched for a bit and didn't find anything conclusive, but did try three things:

1) reset iPhone Network Settings
2) switched 5g channel from 48 to 36
3) adjusted router direction and antenna placement

I did all three at once, so not sure which had an impact (I'm assume 1 or 2), but there does seem to be an improvement. Will need to give it some time to see if it's stable, but it was nice not to lose internet in the bathroom for once! :)