What's new

RT-AC86U wifi regularly disappearing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ApK

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, please to point me in the right direction if I missed something, but amidst all the "devices losing connection to router" and "router losing internet" threads, I cannot find anything about my issue: the RT-AC86U periodically loses wifi, as if both radios shut off.
The router USUALLY still has WAN connection and works with wired connections when this happens, but both 2 and 5 GHz access points disappear, and the only way I can get them back is to reboot. I've tried disabling/reenabling the radios with no luck. I've altered various settings back and forth (smart connect, channels, power levels, etc) just to see if anything changes about the issue, it doesn't.
This happens perhaps once every week or two. I tried setting the router to reboot one a week (which I hate the idea of) but that not only didn't stop the issue, but the self-reboots almost always fail, requiring a manual restart anyway. Perhaps those issues are related?
I am on the latest rmerlin build and have had this issue for at least a year, through several firmware updates.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

ApK

Yeah, I was writing on another thread about this earlier.

I got the same router as my main.
Here is what I would do::::
I would go back to .15 Merlin.
Load the firmware via GUI, reboot, factory reset (via holding WPS per Asus direction) than load again firmware and reboot.
Configure it as you would (don’t do or load any saved configs)
For example: load AIP and AIM etc. if you use Trend or Mesh.
Stay at 15 for a day or two.
If all positive, move to .16.
Things start working, you make the journey to the top of the mountain.

The biggest problem is: people want to race to the top of the mountain but the router needs to be babied. There is things I put on which didn’t work out for my config via AMTM. You need to keep track of what you load and see if they work for you. If they don’t work out, you need to blow it away and restart the process

Trust me, I was plenty mad at it at the start. I had the same issues with wireless and ghost power down. Maybe I got a bad one? It’s been up and running and supporting 7 hour online sessions for 5 days a week without any issues for 3 kids since school returned.
Right now, It’s working for me.

Just my .02 and my experience.

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone. Is there something special about ver .15, or does your suggestion boil down to "factory reset, then only change or upgrade after you've seen everything is stable"?

i have same problem on ax88 since upgrading to 384.19
always the 2.4GHz that dies. often.

rolling back to 384.18 fixed it for me for now...

.15 - this is when things started to be merged together in the firmware. It’s not a bad thing but I found it was a great starting point. You might find a better spot as your baseline. I am on .19 for awhile. If I had a problem, that’s where I roll back and rebuild up. Since my last post, no issue at all. Only thing I have updated was DaveQoS since he had a pushed a new update 48 hours ago. With my process on the firmware, I haven’t had any issues. I am running Skynet, Diversion, DaveQoS, Scribe, NTP, AiMesh - Wireless with a 3100 as my node, TrendMicro etc on my AC-86u. I am pumping over easily over 20Gs per month through this setup.

on my ax88/scripts setup:
.18 is rock solid. 20+ clients
.19 (since b2 i believe) the 2.4GHz is unusable (frequently disconnects and then locks all clients out).
staying on .18 until 386 rolls out

but not sure about the culprit.
lots of people running .19 with ax88 don't have same issue
logs only line of interest is "local deauth request" but no other info

Last edited: