What's new

RT-AC86U with a Range Extender and Slow File Transfer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxsteel

Regular Contributor
Hi,

My range extender shows 1300 mbps connection under the 5ghz network. However, the local file transfer speed from NAS never exceeds 30 MB/s while when I'm connecting directly to the router (86u) speed can reach 70 MB/s under the same condition.

The router and the range extender are close to each other same with the testing phases I was close as possible to the devices.

Any idea what could be the issue? 86u advanced wireless settings were left to default and the router has been already initialized.

Thank you,

Last edited:
Hi,

My range extender shows 1300 mbs connection under the 5ghz network. However, the local file transfer speed from NAS never exceeds 30 MB/s while when I'm connecting directly to the router (86u) speed can reach 70 MB/s under the same condition.

The router and the range extender are close to each other same with the testing phases I was close as possible to the devices.

Any idea what could be the issue? 86u advanced wireless settings were left to default and the router has been already initialized.

Thank you,

I think the first thing to check is your connection speed to the range extender. Just because the range extender has a 1300mbps link, doesn't mean your client does (along with the additional overheads of repeating a signal).

I think the first thing to check is your connection speed to the range extender. Just because the range extender has a 1300mbps link, doesn't mean your client does (along with the additional overheads of repeating a signal).
Yes, it is the connection from my client (macbook pro) to the extender which measure 1300 mbps.

Unless you use a dual band range extender the throughput will be half or less of the connection speed. The extender spends half of its time relaying the wifi data with a single band. Use an ethernet backhaul to speed things up.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Looks like your Range Extender is a tad bit better than most. Without really digging into the workings of the dual band it looks like you can connect to both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands and the extender will choose the best for signal strength and switch between them. Just make sure the SSID on the Asus 2.4 GHZ is different from the 5 GHZ SSID. Many of us use the suffix -5g to denote the higher band.
Your best bet is to use an Ethernet cable and make the repeater into an access point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!