What's new

RT-AC87 - Can connect to VPN server but not devices inside LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoneWolf

Okay, so I have my RT-AC87R. I have OpenVPN server set up using Dynamic DNS for the WAN (I have a DynDNS pro subscription), and I exported an ovpn file. I've tested, and I can connect to the VPN server from the outside.

My problem is when I try to use Remote Desktop to connect to systems on the LAN side of the router; I can't. These same systems can be connected to from inside the LAN; are there additional rules or settings changes I need to make on the router to connect to them?

Just to confirm I did things right, I checked my steps against Tim's wonderful guide here:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/othe...-setting-up-and-using-openvpn-on-asus-routers

"Push LAN to clients" is enabled as shown. I cannot ping the router's LAN IP, nor internal LAN devices.

Last edited:
Make sure that both LANs are in a different subnet, otherwise you won't be able to properly address the other LAN. (i.e., they must not both use 192.168.1.xxx).

W4R, I have it set to TUN which is default.

Merlin, I used the default subnet for the VPN, which is 10.8.0.xx, so that shouldn't conflict.

W4R, I have it set to TUN which is default.

Merlin, I used the default subnet for the VPN, which is 10.8.0.xx, so that shouldn't conflict.

I mean the two network's subnets, not the tunnel's subnets.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!