What's new

RT-AC87 Logging in Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Max142

Occasional Visitor
I am updating older routers on my home network to the above routers. My intent is to use these units in AP Mode. I have managed to set one up and working fine. Firmware is the Merlin 384..Mac Filtering all ok assigned IP address ok. The second unit ...horribly frustrating. In prev post a member provided a test edition of firmware that would take the bugs out of the AP mode. I have done hard re-sets...also 30..30..30..resets. What seems to be problem is I can make changes and additions as in devices to mac filter rule. but when I assign a IP address. it seems i can never log back into router. Even after a reset.. Maybe after an hour of trying. I am connected to my desktop via ethernet no internet and no wireless. Is my next step target practice ? I do not like giving up but I am coming to an end. Any help appreciated

What IP addresses are you using on the router and the AP's? Have you set the subnet mask to be the same on each (i.e. 255.255.255.0)?

router:192.168.2.1
First AP 192.168.2.150 and successful no probs
Second AP........192.168.2.152

I think you're going to have to explain in detail what you mean by "... I can make changes and additions as in devices to mac filter rule. but when I assign a IP address. it seems i can never log back into router."

It's not clear what IP address you are assigning or where you're doing it. Or how your client is configured and how/what it is connected to.

Sorry
I have a main router in Basement Next to Modem... Wireless turned off.
I have 2 older routers set as Access Points connected by Ethernet to Basement router.
I use Mac Filtering with both Access Points.
I set up the first one all is good. I have had it up and running. I can log into it. It is working just fine.
I am now trying to set up the second identical one.
I use my desktop computer ...attach the ethernet from there to the new router. in order to begin setting it up.
During this setup it is not connected to my network ( just a simple windows 7 Home Network )
During my last 2 hrs of all being fine. I set up the following
1. wireless ssid and password
2. enacted Mac Filtering and added 4 devices. I would then hit apply and then reboot i could log out and log back in.
3. I then made the big jump to Placing in AP Mode. and it even saved this and I was able to log out and back in ... numerous times.
4. Next comes the changing the IP Address from stock 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.152 and not to assign automatically but leave static. Save and apply and then goes to the screen your address changed and I cant log back in to this new address.I am assigning that address in the interface of the router in AP mode

OK Thanks for the explanation.

To be clear... You are talking about problems logging into the new AP, not the main router. Correct?

3. I then made the big jump to Placing in AP Mode. and it even saved this and I was able to log out and back in ... numerous times.
What URL or IP address were you using to log in at this time? Wired connection or wireless?

4. Next comes the changing the IP Address from stock 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.152 and not to assign automatically but leave static. Save and apply and then goes to the screen your address changed and I cant log back in to this new address.I am assigning that address in the interface of the router in AP mode
Have you tried configuring your PC with a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x range (say 192.168.2.99) and then trying to access http://192.168.2.152 with the PC's Ethernet cable plugged directly into the AP?

1. Yes.... I attempt to log in to the new assigned static IP Address of the new AP at 192.168.2.152 and all i get is the error message cannot connect to that address at this time.
2 the new Router setting up in AP Mode is Not connected to the network only to my desktop by Ethernet .
3. The IP address of my desktop is assigned as 192.168.2.100

What URL or IP address were you using to log in at this time?

1. Yes.... I attempt to log in to the new assigned static IP Address of the new AP at 192.168.2.152 and all i get is the error message cannot connect to that address at this time.
Have you tried using the ASUS Device Discovery tool to locate the AP.

2 the new Router setting up in AP Mode is Not connected to the network only to my desktop by Ethernet .
Try turning the AP off, plugging it into your main router and turning it back on again.