What's new

RT-AC87R Help! Weird question about FTP Server IP Conflicts.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bubba2much

New Around Here
Hello, I was hoping someone here would be-able to help me.

I have tried to setup an FTP server using 3rd party software.
as, I couldn't get the built in FTP server working from the start.

When I fire up any FTP Server software, it's showing the following
on the status screen.

Logging to screen : enabled.
3/28/2015 12:57:57 PM - FTP Server On-line : IP(s) 192.168.1.227,192.168.37.1,192.168.28.1, on port 4404

Is there something in the asus router that I can switch off, so the FTP server only see's 1 LAN IP address?
I have had a friend try to log onto the FTP but it just hangs with connection timed out.

Now, when I take the Router out of play, and just connect my PC MODEM directly.
It then show's the WAN IP provided by my provider, from here everything works and connects.
it's only when the router is plugged in, does the conflicts start to happen.

Anyone here experienced this before? Or, has anyone got any idea what I could try next?

I think you have a couple issues to address. With the router connected, you're server is sitting behind a NAT. So, external clients (Internet based) need a way to reach your server. The router will need to be configured to support this. You could use UPnP (if your FTP server software supports it *or* simple port forwarding from the router side (simplest solution IMO). Your other issue is with the FTP server software "binding" to 3 different IPs (if your subnet mask for each is for ex. 255.255.255.0) these each represent a separate IP subnet. Now, since everything works when you bypass the router, more information would be needed to fully understand each of these setups. I assume that when you bypass the router, your server only binds to one address? IF this is the case, then are you using multiple VLANs with your router with individual VLAN IDs configured on your server NIC?