What's new

RT-AC87R LAN Ports 2 & 3 Down

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

roldogg

Regular Contributor
I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my settings somewhere, but LAN ports 2 and 3 stopped working. When logged into the router, under Tools, it shows ports 1 & 4 working, but 2 and 3 don't work at all. I have an WD My Cloud NAS hooked up to one of the ports, but it never goes online. I've tried changing the CAT6 cable from both ports 1 & 4 to 2 & 3 separately, but then everything I have connected to that LAN cable stops working as well.

I'm running the latest Merlin firmware, and it's been working ever since buying the router when it first came out but the ports just stopped working suddenly. Is there anything in the firmware itself that might cause this to happen or has my router died?

Sounds like a hardware issue. Try doing a complete power reset:

- Turn off the router
- Unplug its power cable
- While unplugged, turn it back on for about 10 secs, to drain any leftover charge
- Turn it back off
- Plug back in, turn on, and boot it

If it still fails, you can try a complete settings reset, but I suspect it's a hardware failure.

Ok, I'll give it a shot. If the power reserved doesn't work, you think it's dead? If so, is this still the most recent router released by Asus? I mean the most recent worth buying? I know they released another model since this one, but from what I remember it just has more bands so they can increase the total bandwidth number on the box. I don't think the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band are any different from this one.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll give it a shot. If the power reserved doesn't work, you think it's dead? If so, is this still the most recent router released by Asus? I mean the most recent worth buying? I know they released another model since this one, but from what I remember it just has more bands so they can increase the total bandwidth number on the box. I don't think the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz band are any different from this one.

There will always be newer models available, and one or two new high-end models are expected before the end of the year. Newer aren't always upgrades however. The RT-AC55U for instance is newer, but a lower-end model. The RT-AC3200 is only 3x3 and won't support MU-MIMO, but its two 5 GHz radios allows someone with many 5 GHz devices to split them between both, so the slower devices won't slow down the faster ones.

It all depends on your specific needs.

Well, power cycling the router actually worked. I don't know what caused this, but all the ports work just fine. Thanks.

There will always be newer models available, and one or two new high-end models are expected before the end of the year. Newer aren't always upgrades however. The RT-AC55U for instance is newer, but a lower-end model. The RT-AC3200 is only 3x3 and won't support MU-MIMO, but its two 5 GHz radios allows someone with many 5 GHz devices to split them between both, so the slower devices won't slow down the faster ones.

It all depends on your specific needs.

Well,

I was shopping for a router the other day on Amazon, and someone by the name of Merlin had some nice things to say about the router I was looking at, an Asus RT-AC3200. So, I bought it. It came in today. I've already flashed it, but I haven't gone through the entire setup yet. If it was you who purchased this router, can you answer one question for me? Is it better to have the router setup using it's new Smart Connect Wizard, where everything is basically covered under 1 SSID or have 3 individual SSIDs? Or, is it possible to combine the 2 5GHz channels into 1 SSID and have a 2.4GHz channel too? Like I said, I haven't even spent more than 5 minutes logged in, just long enough to setup my SSID, but a laptop in my office, which I usually have connected to a 5GHz band, is connected to the Smart Connect Feature, but it's connected at a much lower speed.

Well,

I was shopping for a router the other day on Amazon, and someone by the name of Merlin had some nice things to say about the router I was looking at, an Asus RT-AC3200. So, I bought it. It came in today. I've already flashed it, but I haven't gone through the entire setup yet. If it was you who purchased this router, can you answer one question for me? Is it better to have the router setup using it's new Smart Connect Wizard, where everything is basically covered under 1 SSID or have 3 individual SSIDs? Or, is it possible to combine the 2 5GHz channels into 1 SSID and have a 2.4GHz channel too? Like I said, I haven't even spent more than 5 minutes logged in, just long enough to setup my SSID, but a laptop in my office, which I usually have connected to a 5GHz band, is connected to the Smart Connect Feature, but it's connected at a much lower speed.

Whoever wrote the review wasn't me - mine came directly from Asus, not from Amazon. I only use it for development, my RT-AC87U is still my primary router.

Smart Connect doesn't allow you to use different SSIDs. Asus binds all three radios under Smart Connect's single SSID.

The RT-AC87R was my primary router too until last Thursday. I bought this one because of all the different devices I have, but I'm not a big fan of Smart Connect.

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my settings somewhere, but LAN ports 2 and 3 stopped working. When logged into the router, under Tools, it shows ports 1 & 4 working, but 2 and 3 don't work at all. I have an WD My Cloud NAS hooked up to one of the ports, but it never goes online. I've tried changing the CAT6 cable from both ports 1 & 4 to 2 & 3 separately, but then everything I have connected to that LAN cable stops working as well.

I'm running the latest Merlin firmware, and it's been working ever since buying the router when it first came out but the ports just stopped working suddenly. Is there anything in the firmware itself that might cause this to happen or has my router died?

I have the same problem on my 87R now, so I was wondering how / if you ever resolved your situation please?