What's new

RT-AC87R possible NAT Loopback issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bnadji

New Around Here
I don't think the NAT Loopback issues claimed to have been solved in previous FW release 3.0.0.4.378.4376 is really fixed. On FW:3.0.0.4.378_4608 it works for a few minutes and it freezes indefinitely after that. If I reboot the router, it comes back for a few minutes again but it dies after that.

I have reset the router to factory defaults, upgraded it to the new release, reset it again to factory defaults and manually added couple of options that I use, namely MAC clone and PORT FORWARDING of port 80 to a web server. The rest is vanilla factory defaults.

I can access my web server from outside systems and cellular phones on GSM with no problems (i.e., port forwarding is working). I can also access it from inside the domain using the private 192.168.x.x IP address with no issues. But when I try to access it from inside the domain using the http://mydomainname.com/myservicename (i.e. using the NAT loopback) it works for the first few minutes but then it stops working all together and I get the message that service cannot be accessed. I have to reboot the router to get it to work again.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Can someone verify this?
Is there a way to open a ticket with ASUS?

This has been the case for both 378_4608 and 378_4376 versions.

Brad

I don't think the NAT Loopback issues claimed to have been solved in previous FW release 3.0.0.4.378.4376 is really fixed. On FW:3.0.0.4.378_4608 it works for a few minutes and it freezes indefinitely after that. If I reboot the router, it comes back for a few minutes again but it dies after that.

I have reset the router to factory defaults, upgraded it to the new release, reset it again to factory defaults and manually added couple of options that I use, namely MAC clone and PORT FORWARDING of port 80 to a web server. The rest is vanilla factory defaults.

I can access my web server from outside systems and cellular phones on GSM with no problems (i.e., port forwarding is working). I can also access it from inside the domain using the private 192.168.x.x IP address with no issues. But when I try to access it from inside the domain using the http://mydomainname.com/myservicename (i.e. using the NAT loopback) it works for the first few minutes but then it stops working all together and I get the message that service cannot be accessed. I have to reboot the router to get it to work again.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Can someone verify this?
Is there a way to open a ticket with ASUS?

This has been the case for both 378_4608 and 378_4376 versions.

Brad

-----

Just to follow up on the above post, since I did not get any replies, I decided to use the Merlin FW to see if the problem continues. Merlin FW had helped me in the past when the RT-AC66U had just come out and it was buggy and Merlin offered a much more stable option.

I loaded Merlin 378.51 into RT-AC87R. For the past 6 hours, it has been running without any problems using the same settings and the addition of the new Merlin option "Firewall->NAT Loopback" to "Merlin" first and later to "ASUS" and in both cases router performed flawlessly.

I seriously believe there is still a bug with the ASUS 378_4608 and its predecessor 378.4376 factory firmware versions despite the claims in the release notes that the problem was fixed.

Thank you Merlin!

Brad

Your points that bugs may still be present in the indicted firmware versions may be true, but I just want to ask, did you reset to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware in each case?

Did you manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? Without doing a restore from a backup config file?

In either case, I agree that the RMerlin firmware fixes additional bugs that Asus always seems to miss.

Running a supported Asus router without RMerlin firmware is like running an F1 race car on regular unleaded gasoline AND with a new driver and not 'dialing' the car to his/her specific preferences for the day's course. :)

-----

Just to follow up on the above post, since I did not get any replies, I decided to use the Merlin FW to see if the problem continues. Merlin FW had helped me in the past when the RT-AC66U had just come out and it was buggy and Merlin offered a much more stable option.

I loaded Merlin 378.51 into RT-AC87R. For the past 6 hours, it has been running without any problems using the same settings and the addition of the new Merlin option "Firewall->NAT Loopback" to "Merlin" first and later to "ASUS" and in both cases router performed flawlessly.

I seriously believe there is still a bug with the ASUS 378_4608 and its predecessor 378.4376 factory firmware versions despite the claims in the release notes that the problem was fixed.

Thank you Merlin!

Brad