What's new

RT-AC87U 100 MBit LAN Clients limited to 400kb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barrywhite123

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my Asus RT-AC87U with up to date official Asus FW and ASUSRT Merlin firmware.

When i connect a 100MBit Lan Client this client is limited to 400kbs. The Same lan Client on a netgear Gigabit 8 Port switch is working fine wit 9Mbs.

I ve already opend up a call for the asus Support.

I will try a factory reset with the hardware button and update this thread if the problem is gone after the reset

Changing the duplex settings on the network card (NIC) in your client might help, sometimes the speed negotiation fails, and setting a fixed speed/duplex helps.

If your NIC is set to auto try to change it to 100MB Full duplex instead.

Also please check that you are using the latest available driver for your NIC.

Which operating system is your client using, Windows, Mac OS, Linux?

Found the problem

My NAS Lan hat the NIC Flow Control set to disabled after enabling it to Tx Sx enabled it worked fine...

Strange thing because i dindnt had any problems with my previous Asus 56u Router with that nic configuration....

hmm yes performance is back again. But i don't understand why. Ok i have read about flow control and what its for.

but why is this problem occurring with the ac87U and not with my old Ac56U ?

My problem now is my file transfer between my nas an my pc. It drooped down from about 100Mbs read write to about 70 because of the flow control.

The next funny thing is that if i connect my media-player which is only 100Mbit to my Switch (netgear 8 Port GIGABIT) that is also connected to the Asus ac87u i can leave the flow control off and i have 8mbs on the media-player.

connecting it back to the asus i get 400kbs ??????

If I get this right it seems that the ac87u has a smaller buffer than the ac 56u ? its hard to believe that a 200€ router has a smaller buffer than a back in the days 120€ router...

Last edited:
You can get some info on negotiated speed if you look at Tools>Sysinfo, there is a section called Network at the bottom of the page.

Maybe activating Jumbo Frames (LAN > Switch Control) will improve performance?

Please look at this clip for additional info:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sylnsg4jQ0s

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 17.16.44.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 17.16.44.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 432
Hi,

yes i already noticed that info but it looks exactly like your screenshot 100 Mibt full duplex and the oders al 1000 Mbit duplex as a workaround i connected my mediaplayer 100 mbit to my netgear 8 port gigabit and i have 8 to 9 mbits
my other mediaplayer that has gigabit is now connected to the asus and is working without any problems