What's new

RT-AC87U - AC wifi with MacBook Air (mid 2013) only at 11 Mbit/s

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Konrad_PL

New Around Here
Hi,

my first post here. I installed this router for the first time yesterday. Im running on .4950 firmware (installed immediately after unpacking my router). So far no wifi drops but there is one issue I ran into that I cant seem to correct.

When connected to MacBook Air (mid 2013) with AC (5 GHz, 80 Mhz) my Link Speed is set to 11 Mbit/sec. When I forced my router to N-only connection (no AC) I get a Link Speed at 300 Mbit/sec.

So I know it's not an issue with my Mac's wireless chip since it can do 144 Mbit/sec and 300 Mbit/sec connections but whenever I connect with AC connection I always get stuck with 11 Mbit/sec Link Speed.
My Nexus 5 phone can do the AC connection at 450 Mbit/sec to this router easily.

After reading many discussion threads on various forums I came across several people who also ran into the same problem (there was no solution though).

It is almost as if my MacBook treats this AC connection as a 802.11b connection (up to 11 Mbit/sec). AC should give me easily 450 Mbit/sec right ?

Now when I look on my MBAir's Tx rate for my AC connection I get anywhere from 30 to 950 Mbps (depending on where in my apartment I am and how close to the router I am) but always the Link Speed under Network Utility stays the same at 11 MBit/sec.

My settings are WPA2-Personal with AES so I know it's not the Authentication method that's at fault here (normally it usually is in such cases where higher speeds at not offered when incorrect encryption is given).

So what gives ?

My beamforming is OFF, channel control is on AUTO, I am running 2.4 and 5.0 GHz with visible separate SSIDs. Standard stuff, nothing fancy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is it my MacBook's problem with this specific router or is it something that needs to be tweaked on the router's side to make the Link Speed on my Mac act accordingly (to what's expected from AC).

FYI when I do speed test I get 25 MB/down and 7 MB/up consistently (that's my ISP plan so I am good here).

The mac reporting the wrong link rate is not the router's fault, I would say.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!