What's new

RT-AC87U Access mode setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

skydriverdc6

New Around Here
First Im a noob here. I know very little about wireless networking, but here goes.

I bought two exact routers, the RT-AC87U and I hooked one of them up to my DSL modem which is a NetGear 7550 on Frontier internet. I also hooked the 2nd one up to the modem thinking I could have two routers on one network, but figured out this isn't a likely scenario, so I instead tried to connect router #2 to router #1 via CAT5 port #1 on router #2 to CAT5 port #1 (ports one and two on these routers say "Teaming" for some reason) on router #1. Then on router #2, I had to connect my laptop directly to the router to configure it and I chose Access Point Mode. It created a new IP for me on the same subnet as Router #1. However, when I look at the network I can't see the name I gave for SSID on the Access Point router, is that normal? I can see the SSID name

Next question, I assume that when you have an Access Point, it merely acts as an antenna for the main router and you can't really see it or connect to it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!