What's new

RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miniterror

Regular Contributor
Hello all,

Im here trying to seek some help.
I bought a RT-87U and a EA-87U for a friend with a big house.
He uses the VPN function and needs portforwardings on his router for reaching certain things externally.
He has a Iphone 6 and his wife has a Iphone 5.
When he tries to connect to the VPN it doesnt work on 90% of the times he tries to connect.
I setup the VPN PPTP function ont he router.
When i check the log the router is full of the following mesage, does this mean something is wrong?
Code:
Oct  9 13:39:29 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct  9 13:39:29 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct  9 13:39:32 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct  9 13:39:32 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct  9 13:39:37 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct  9 13:39:37 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct  9 13:39:41 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Oct  9 13:39:41 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong

When i try to connect to the VPN on the router i get the following error.
Code:
Oct  9 13:44:02 pptp[1631]: pppd 2.4.7 started by admin, uid 0
Oct  9 13:44:02 pptp[1631]: Connect: ppp10 <--> pptp (62.140.137.102)
Oct  9 13:44:11 pptpd[1630]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading ctrl packet length.
Oct  9 13:44:11 pptpd[1630]: CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)
Oct  9 13:44:11 pptpd[1630]: CTRL: CTRL read failed
Oct  9 13:44:12 pptp[1631]: Connection terminated.
Oct  9 13:44:12 pptp[1631]: Modem hangup

The router is using 3.0.0.4.378_9177 as firmware.
Is there something i could do?
Will a custom firmware fix this problem?
Also the WiFi is verry wonky to say the least on both Iphones.
I tried different channels and channel bandwiths without a proper fix.
Ive been reading a lot of problems on the internet with Apple and Asus WiFi, is there something i can do about it?

As a last question, the router itself is used for playback of certain television shows(They have a paid subscription with there provider)
Since the placement of the RT-AC87U they get a lot of buffering isseus wich they didnt have before.
Could it be the router is faulty?
Hope some of you gurus can help me out.

With best regards,

Mini

Edit: After some more testing it seems like the routers VPN server is going in some sort of "sleep" mode.
Im now getting the same with my Android device.
First time it fails but when i try a second time it works.
Also port forwarding is a hit and miss.
I wonder how portforwarding can be hit and miss:S

Last edited:
I know it´s old school but I actually instead of a cron job have setup the router with a digital outlet timer so I "flush it" two times a week with a minutes "power off". I had / have some problems with Merlin just stopping the WAN from time to time for LAN users (cabled) but still works on WIFI so I suspected a lease time issue or something. Raised it (lease) and it seems to last longer but started lately to "give up" before the week was done - so I added a second flush and for me / the family its rock stable. Only thing I see when lots complain on WIFI signals is that you have to then assume they know about all types of interference that actually can provoke hickups on these modern routers. I know lots do but I also know that an Asus really is not a plug-n-play toy for all! :)

Merlin other than the cabled "freeze" seems very stable on both 5ghz and 2.4. I of course have found channels that are less crowded.

Ps. PPTP are really not "as good" as other VPN setups so perhaps try to look into another protocol? (Merlin OpenVPN for example).

I have the same problems. I am not satisfied of the asus firmware and the merlin firmware. Just not stable enough again and again reset .... I now i use the 09-11 -2015-r27805 of DD-WRT and this firmware runs 29 days without loss and reset. The only difference is the internet light this is now purple i.p.v. Blue and the light of the 2.4 GHZ fire not ... but this does not affect the router ... I am very pleased with ... and additional options such as increasing the TX Power ... and others. You can also opt for miscellaneous Router WebGUI style. I turn to xirian.

With regards, Ww2mwa

You could try the Merlin alternative firmware? http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/download

I think i will as i cant seem to find a beter alternative.
Flashed it this morning and noticed a drop in WiFi signal and coverage.
In the living room where the devices used to get full coverage now its only 3/4

I know it´s old school but I actually instead of a cron job have setup the router with a digital outlet timer so I "flush it" two times a week with a minutes "power off". I had / have some problems with Merlin just stopping the WAN from time to time for LAN users (cabled) but still works on WIFI so I suspected a lease time issue or something. Raised it (lease) and it seems to last longer but started lately to "give up" before the week was done - so I added a second flush and for me / the family its rock stable. Only thing I see when lots complain on WIFI signals is that you have to then assume they know about all types of interference that actually can provoke hickups on these modern routers. I know lots do but I also know that an Asus really is not a plug-n-play toy for all! :)

Merlin other than the cabled "freeze" seems very stable on both 5ghz and 2.4. I of course have found channels that are less crowded.

Ps. PPTP are really not "as good" as other VPN setups so perhaps try to look into another protocol? (Merlin OpenVPN for example).

Thx for the tip but i dont think a reset of the router will work for the NAT/VPN problems he is experiencing.
It just seems to go to some sort of sleep mode.
If i havent connected for like 2 hours and try it, the first time always fails.
The second time it works, sorta like it wakes up the VPN/NAT section the first attempt and the second attempt it is "awake" and it works.
I am aware the PPTP is less secure but it is the easiest way for the end user, they dont want extra apps like openvpn needs as far as i am aware.

I have the same problems. I am not satisfied of the asus firmware and the merlin firmware. Just not stable enough again and again reset .... I now i use the 09-11 -2015-r27805 of DD-WRT and this firmware runs 29 days without loss and reset. The only difference is the internet light this is now purple i.p.v. Blue and the light of the 2.4 GHZ fire not ... but this does not affect the router ... I am very pleased with ... and additional options such as increasing the TX Power ... and others. You can also opt for miscellaneous Router WebGUI style. I turn to xirian.

With regards, Ww2mwa

Tried the latest beta from ddwrt and i couldnt use the 2.4Ghz WiFi.
It connected but no internet possible.
Also the speedtest app didnt go above 100Mbit where he ahs a 130Mbit connection.
He wants it all to download his p*rn on his phone:p

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!