What's new

RT-AC87U Crashes When in AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Astrum

New Around Here
Hello!

I'm currently running two RT-AC87Us in a modem > RT-AC87U (as router) > RT-AC87U (as AP) setup.

I believe I'm experiencing the same problem as this member when running two RT-AC87U routers: Up to many times a day, one of the two ASUS units will crash, and the only way to fix this is to reboot said router/AP.

If the AP crashes, the only way to connect to the internet is through the router. If the router crashes, I can't access the internet at all (unless connected directly to the modem).

When one of the units crashes, I'm unable to connect to that unit - SSIDs are being broadcasted, but WiFi connection attempts result in an "unable to connect" error. If I attempt to connect via ethernet, it's either stuck in "Identifying...", or sometimes I get "Unidentified Network". I'm unable to ping the unit post-crash.

Switching the units does not help; it doesn't matter which RT-AC87U is the AP and which is the main router.

The AP's been set up with a static IP outside of the DHCP pool of the main router, and the units crash no matter what official firmware release I've used (currently testing Merlin's firmware for the first time, and experiencing the same problems on version 378.51 beta 1).

I believe this is firmware-related (unless both of my routers are faulty). Any suggestions? Will there be a fix for this?

Thanks a bunch! :)

Last edited:
Try using unique SSIDs. Connect to WAN port (internet port) on AP.

Edit: Try using 8.8.8.8 for DNS on AP. You can also try disabling NAT on AP (in case there's a bug).

Last edited:

Edit: Try using 8.8.8.8 for DNS on AP. You can also try disabling NAT on AP (in case there's a bug).

SSIDs are already unique, and NAT is already disabled.

I'll try connecting to the WAN port and using 8.8.8.8 for DNS on AP. Thanks!

Connecting to the WAN port instead of a LAN port has fixed the crashes! My upload speed decreased from 8-9 Mbit/s to about 4-5 Mbit/s right after switching though (switching back also reverts back to the original upload speeds, albeit with the previous crash issues). Any idea what could be the cause?

Connecting to the WAN port instead of a LAN port has fixed the crashes! My upload speed decreased from 8-9 Mbit/s to about 4-5 Mbit/s right after switching though (switching back also reverts back to the original upload speeds, albeit with the previous crash issues). Any idea what could be the cause?

Just want to confirm first that you have the AP in "AP Mode"? Or were you originally attempting a LAN-to-LAN cascade? Maybe it would be best to reset AP to factory default and start over.

http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_OperationMode_Content.html

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!