What's new

RT-AC87U Idle Latency and AiProtection, Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FalconYT

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone,

Just recently bought an ASUS RT-AC87U and have been playing with the settings. I noticed using DSL Reports Speed Test the idle latency doubles at least when AiProtection is turned on. Tried different firmware up to the very latest and it does the same thing across all of them. Is there any real performance hit by leaving AiProtection on? I like the idea of having some form of protection right at the router.

Speed tests through DSL reports, speedof.me and Speedtest.net seem consistently inconsistent and fluctuate quite a bit from my stated 70Mbps Service, 8Mbps up.. (Up stays around 8, down goes from 20Mbps to above 70Mbps) (even at 4am, not during peak times) (This also was the same with my Linksys WRT1900).. I understand the tests are done at different providers and distances and that can affect speeds...

DSL Reports grades it as C (buffer bloat) A (quality) C (speed) consistently.... (are these ratings worth even listening to)

Any pointers to posts to config it for more consistent speeds or is this to be expected.....

Thanks for any advice you may have..

Here I have no impact whatsover with all AiProtection options turned ON. Don't be obsessed by numbers, what it counts is the experience using it. Great feature and unique to ASUS routers, would be a waste not taking advantage of it. Been testing it on many 0day sites spreading malware and it is very effective providing a solid first barrier. Some users are warried about privacy, however AiProtection does not more not less than any other decent antivirus software, i.e. it needs to call home for some features to work! :)

Here I have no impact whatsover with all AiProtection options turned ON. Don't be obsessed by numbers, what it counts is the experience using it. Great feature and unique to ASUS routers, would be a waste not taking advantage of it. Been testing it on many 0day sites spreading malware and it is very effective providing a solid first barrier. Some users are warried about privacy, however AiProtection does not more not less than any other decent antivirus software, i.e. it needs to call home for some features to work! :)

I agree Fax, so far it's been moving right along.. Uploading to the cloud, Netflix, Time Machine Backup running, and playing TF2 online all at the same time with no hiccups at all... Haven't tweaked anything so far but certainly happy with it. Not worried about the privacy deal, I think if everyone took the time to read all those license agreements word for word there would be a lot of software we wouldn't install.. :) But AiProtection is on and not causing any issues that I can see. Will try to not get hung up on the numbers, will just check periodically to make sure the ISP is giving me what I'm paying for... :)

Thanks..

Note that this was about 18 months ago, with a pre-release build of the Trend Micro code, but back then, I ran a quick benchmark, and was able to reach about 650 Mbps while having Adaptive QoS enabled, on an RT-AC56U (800 MHz CPU) and running a simple iperf test between LAN and WAN sides.

There's a good chance that this code even more optimized by now. But this was with a single connection - having multiple simultaneous connections at once might also degrade total throughput. But, it gives you an idea of the type of performance.