What's new

RT-AC87U not allowing ac on 5GHz wlan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SteedVLX

Occasional Visitor
I am using this router (with 380.50 edit: s/b 380.58) upstairs, as an AP connected to a RT-AC3200 using built-in home wiring (CAT5e)

And, when I attempt to configure the 5Ghz wlan, I can only select "Auto" or "n-only" as the Wireless Mode...

Isn't this an 802.11ac router?
Why can I not choose ac as the wireless mode?

The available channel selections are 36,40,44, and 48. And, it shows bandwisdth selections at 20, 40, or 80Mhz.... irregardless of the channel selected. But, no "ac" capable channels are selectable.

I expected to see n/ac mixed for wireless mode, at least. But, that is not even a choice.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Last edited:
Auto means both N and AC.

Any channel on the 5 GHz band will be AC compatible.

Auto means both N and AC.

Any channel on the 5 GHz band will be AC compatible.

Ah... Really should've realized that myself.
Thanks.
The AC-3200 (also on 380.58) is explicit about N only or, Mixed N/AC... I wasn't processing the probability that "Auto" was equivalent to "mixed".

Ah... Really should've realized that myself.
Thanks.
The AC-3200 (also on 380.58) is explicit about N only or, Mixed N/AC... I wasn't processing the probability that "Auto" was equivalent to "mixed".

The RT-AC87U has a different manufacturer for its 5 GHz chip, so it has different features.