What's new

RT-AC87U or AC3200 or AC68U or AC68P

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zinsco

New Around Here
I want to add a router in my bed room to get better signal there. My walls are old plaster with wire mesh so signal isn't good there. Right now I have an RT-AC68U so I was thinking of upgrading that one and putting the AC68 in my bed room.

I was going to get an AC87U but have read a lot of bad reviews on that one. Are the reviews true?

Would an AC87U or AC3200 simply be overkill?

Should I just get a second AC68U and if so, should I get an AC68P?

avoid the ac87U. You can imagine the wifi of the ac3200 to be 2x the ac68U. The AC68P is supposed to have slightly better hardware than the AC68U. The AC3200 has a few features that the AC68U doesnt.

The ac3200 is suitable if you have multiple high bandwidth wifi users simultaneously, otherwise the AC68U will suffice. CPU wise you can overclock them.

Should I just get a second AC68U and if so, should I get an AC68P?

i would just get the asus rt-ac68u and match the signals , i assume you have ethernet run to your bedroom that you can attach the asus to ?

you would then set the bedroom asus to access point mode

How come avoid 87U?

The Quantenna chipset is the issue. Netgear and Linksys have given up on their Quantenna based products (by releasing a V2 product without that chipset - and, effectively dropping support of the V1 products entirely). Asus is still plugging away, but ultimately, it is Quantenna's (internal) issues that need fixing (by them).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac5300.23606/page-8#post-205475

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac5300.23606/page-8#post-205599

To buy an RT-AC87U router now is like looking for an 1972 Ford Pinto to use for a demolition derby today. :eek::eek::eek:

I am planning on going with pete's suggestion and just adding another 68u in my bedroom, but I am going to be upgrading my internet to 300 from 100 down and was wondering if that makes a difference?

With that increase would I benefit from using a 68p or an ac3200? I have 5 people in the house running 5 laptops, 5 cell phones, one TV, one desktop, downloading movies, streaming, games and so forth.

With that increase would I benefit from using a 68p or an ac3200?

no significant difference as your wan speed to lan speed is far faster on all 3

downloading movies, streaming, games and so forth.
all this you balance with the primary rt-ac68u and its bandwidth limiting etc as it acts as the router , the rt-ac68u in your room is just acting as a WAP

Who uses these faster routers like the ac3200 then? Only people with fiber internet?

Tri-Band routers like the AC3200 are for people with many 5GHz band devices, some that don't need a lot of bandwidth and some that do. These routers have a 2.4GHz radio and two 5GHz radios (high and low) and clients are ideally associated with the band that doesn't slow down the fastest devices.

Ok, then what about the ac3100? It's not a tri-band but is it over kill unless you have a fiber internet connection compared to using the ac68u?

How about Netgear's R7000, or Linksys WRT1900ac, or Apple's Airport Extreme AC?

Asus is only one vendor...

Well ya, so again, is there any point in those routers unless you have a fiber internet connection?

unless you have a fiber internet connection?
on my NBN fiber internet connection wan to lan they all work the same , my connection is 100M down and 40M up and all do that speed so in simple terms of my speeds there is no significant difference

if however you have internet speeds greater than mine your best to check the wan - lan performance charts to see which is the best in your case

see

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

from the chart

ASUS Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router (RT-AC68U) AC1900:#2 $170 754.5Mbps

ASUS 802.11ac Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router (RT-AC66U) AC1750:#3 $123 836.0Mbps

ASUS Dual-band Wireless-AC2400 Gigabit Router (RT-AC87U) AC2350:#1 $183 787.1Mbps

NETGEAR Nighthawk X8 - AC5300 Tri-Band Quad-Stream Wi-Fi Router (R8500-100NAS) AC5300:#2 $258 760.9Mbps

ASUS Wireless-AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router (RT-AC5300) AC5300:#1 $388 750.6Mbps

the rest you can check for your self

now in general just by the way these tests are done once you re enable qos and routing and other features you wont get anywhere near those figures and in some cases half of those speeds

of course wan to lan throughput is only one aspect as the higher class models give better vpn performance , better wireless connectivity etc etc for your lan / wlan environment , but how much better are you prepared to pay for and that only you can answer

Alright, I got my RT-AC68U and set it up as an AP in my bedroom. Signal is great. Got my SB6183 modem and upgraded my internet speed with Cox and I'm getting between 300 and 380 down when connected to the main RT-AC68U wired but when I check wireless I get 150 to 180 down.

Is there a better router that will give me better speed then the RT-AC68U on the wireless side?

Alright, I got my RT-AC68U and set it up as an AP in my bedroom. Signal is great. Got my SB6183 modem and upgraded my internet speed with Cox and I'm getting between 300 and 380 down when connected to the main RT-AC68U wired but when I check wireless I get 150 to 180 down.

Is there a better router that will give me better speed then the RT-AC68U on the wireless side?

Not unless you want to try the RT-AC88U/RT-AC5300 next. ;)

But first, what device did you use to test the wireless? How many antennae? Was it powered by AC or battery power?

How far away from the RT-AC68U is your device when doing the test? Any obstacles in-between?

Not unless you want to try the RT-AC88U/RT-AC5300 next. ;)

But first, what device did you use to test the wireless? How many antennae? Was it powered by AC or battery power?

How far away from the RT-AC68U is your device when doing the test? Any obstacles in-between?
Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus on wireless and my desktop on wired
AC or battery power gives the same
Was done with the laptop right next to the main router

Just now I tried the laptop with wired instead of wireless and got the same speed as I did when it was wireless, so I guess that's as fast as my laptop can go.

Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus on wireless and my desktop on wired
AC or battery power gives the same
Was done with the laptop right next to the main router

Just now I tried the laptop with wired instead of wireless and got the same speed as I did when it was wireless, so I guess that's as fast as my laptop can go.

With a 2x2 AC class wireless chip, it should do more.

I think you were much too close to the router to achieve the maximum performance possible.

Is it better if you give it some room to breathe between the laptop and the router?

Did you try different channels?