What's new

RT-AC87U reboots persistently

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Flatsheep

New Around Here
Hi,

I've been searching furiously around the net for a similar issue to what I'm getting, but not found any specific remedies. Any advice and help would be gratefully received, before I return this router under warranty (or throw it out the window!).

I've owned an Asus RT-AC87U for about 4 months and had no issue with it until now. My partner text me in work saying "Internet keeps failing". When I get home, I found around every 20m, the router was rebooting. I haven't done anything fancy with this router, I'm running stock firmware and very few of the additional feature, just wifi and that's it.

I've tried the following:
- Turning it on and off (even letting it get cold).
- Upgraded to latest firmware(3.0.0.4.378_9460). Did a full reset and reconfigure.
- Replaced the cables.

It now reboots about every 90 mins, the logs say this (and did before all the attempts to fix):

Feb 12 18:20:51 watchdog02: no wathdog, restarting
Feb 12 18:20:53 kernel: Stop the IPS/AppID engine...
Feb 12 18:20:55 WEBDAV Server: daemon is stoped
Feb 12 18:20:55 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Feb 12 18:20:55 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Feb 12 18:20:55 iTunes: daemon is stoped
Feb 12 18:20:55 FTP Server: daemon is stoped
Feb 12 18:20:55 Samba Server: smb daemon is stoped
Feb 12 18:20:55 kernel: gro disabled
Feb 12 18:20:55 Timemachine: daemon is stoped
Feb 12 18:20:55 disk_monitor: Finish
Feb 12 18:20:55 miniupnpd[8213]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Feb 12 18:20:56 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Feb 12 18:20:56 NAT Tunnel: AAE Service is stopped
Feb 12 18:20:58 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
Feb 12 18:20:59 WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.
Feb 12 18:20:59 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off
Feb 12 18:20:59 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Feb 12 18:21:01 watchdog02: no wathdog, restarting
Feb 12 18:21:02 wanduck exit: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_ppp0_eth0)!
Feb 12 18:21:04 kernel: klogd: exiting
Feb 12 18:21:04 syslogd exiting

The reboot appears to start from the first line: watchdog02: no wathdog, restarting.

Why this is occurring, I've no idea. I have access to SSH if there are some other logs I can look at?

I'm thinking it's a hardware issue, as one day it was fine, the next it's persistently rebooting. I've read on forums this router suffers with overheating; I'm running the stock ASUS firmware, could this still be an issue?

If nobody can help, I'll send it back under warranty for replacement/repair.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue, but on two devices (one is AP, the other is media bridge). None of them should be overheating. Issue exists in both stock and merlin, and I think it appeared around november.

I should've responded to this. I figured it out in the end. It was a spurious Ethernet connected device causing the reboot. My house alarm was causing the rebooting. Routers been up weeks now without a reboot.

Hope that helps someone!

I should've responded to this. I figured it out in the end. It was a spurious Ethernet connected device causing the reboot. My house alarm was causing the rebooting. Routers been up weeks now without a reboot.

Hope that helps someone!

How was the house alarm connected to the network causing the router to reboot? Any more details would be welcomed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!