What's new

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_4825 - Unofficial beta firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raphaelogy

Regular Contributor
Kindly note that this firmware is released by ASUS@SG.

Kindly refer to this http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/92745584-post2489.html for download.

I have copied the changelog below for your reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changelog:
Fix: Usb modem
Improve: 5GHz stability connection
Fix: Close Access Intranet can still access LAN
Fix: Wireless power 5GHz abnormalities could not connect
Fix: User interface language Ukrainian
Fix: Media Bridge mode switch to AP mode failed.
Fix: QIS
Fix Aicloud 2.0
Fix: Media bridge
Update: Ai Protection Signature 1.036

* No hardreset required

Kindly note that this firmware is released by ASUS@SG.

Kindly refer to this http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/92745584-post2489.html for download.

I have copied the changelog below for your reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changelog:
Fix: Usb modem
Improve: 5GHz stability connection
Fix: Close Access Intranet can still access LAN
Fix: Wireless power 5GHz abnormalities could not connect
Fix: User interface language Ukrainian
Fix: Media Bridge mode switch to AP mode failed.
Fix: QIS
Fix Aicloud 2.0
Fix: Media bridge
Update: Ai Protection Signature 1.036

* No hardreset required

Nice find......loaded, no reset (over 4608)
So far perfect but time will tell.

CC

Flashed it on both my routers, Everything seems fine, works just as good as 4608

Looks like Asus is really trying this time! The amount of firmware and support for the AC87U since it came out is sort of staggering. I wish they would improve the USB 3.0 transfer speeds, as it's the only weakness I've encountered on the unit.

been running for few hours now, and everything working perfectly streaming content from my AP to Media bridge both using this firmware, speeds high 92mbps and stable streams and file transfers
image.png

Sweet! The RT-AC87U is coming of age with this latest firmware. 4 hours so far and everything is running smooth with 8 active clients PC / Apple / Linux mix.

Be careful of this beta. Others have reported good things, but my experience was not good!:

The AP upgraded perfectly. No problems.

My router upgraded and requested a manual reboot. The router briefly came up and then it hung - couldn't be accessed by browser and the internet went down for all clients.

I tried a reboot (in fact several) - same problem. Router briefly comes up and then crashes.

I downgraded to 4608 - all fine.

I upgraded again to 4825 - same problem

I reset the router with 4825 firmware - all was good. I uploaded my old config to the router and it crashed again after briefly being online.

I decided to manually reload my config into 4825.
  • I reset the router again
  • I set up WAN and LAN, with many manually assigned IP addresses.
  • I set up the WiFi - basic and professional - no apparent problem.
  • I then tried to setup the Guest Network. I managed to setup the 2.4Ghz network, but when I set up the 5Ghz network (WPA-AUTO-PERSONAL, TKIP+AES, Access Intranet:OFF) and applied it the router hung again! I will be honest I cannot say for sure if the crash was when the 2.4Ghz network was set, but it just took a while, or if it was the 5Ghz network. I suspect the 5Ghz network though because....
  • I then rebooted the router and went to the guest network page. It said I needed to turn on the 5Ghz network for the 5Ghz guest network to work. I looked at the 5Ghz WiFi page and the network WAS enabled. i went back to the guest network page, which still said the 5Ghz network needed to be enabled and then the router crashed again! Another attempt at reboot caused the same problem.
I then reverted to 4608, loaded my old config and all is good
smile.gif

Probably something specific about my setup or environment, but there is little unusual there.

all was good. I uploaded my old config to the router and it crashed again after briefly being online.

Hi, thats probably why. You should do a factory reset before upgrading the firmware and after to make sure nothing is left behind and enter all your settings manually.
Not restore your settings from an previous firmware.

Specifically they said this beta was OK to upgrade. It was in the release notes. But, regardless, as I said, even after I completely reset and input manually it crashed half way through the config. 4608 working again fine now.

I flashed the 4825 beta over Merlin's 378.51_newqtn without resetting anything. works fine.
I flashed the 378.4825 beta from Asus over Merlin's 378.52_alpha3. The router was set to factory defaults after flashing and I manually re-entered my settings. So far this version appears to be a winner, winner, chicken dinner!

How did you move to 4608 in the first place? Reset or simple update?
Be careful of this beta. Others have reported good things, but my experience was not good!:

The AP upgraded perfectly. No problems.

My router upgraded and requested a manual reboot. The router briefly came up and then it hung - couldn't be accessed by browser and the internet went down for all clients.

I tried a reboot (in fact several) - same problem. Router briefly comes up and then crashes.

I downgraded to 4608 - all fine.

I upgraded again to 4825 - same problem

I reset the router with 4825 firmware - all was good. I uploaded my old config to the router and it crashed again after briefly being online.

I decided to manually reload my config into 4825.
  • I reset the router again
  • I....
Probably something specific about my setup or environment, but there is little unusual there.

Most probably a concurrency of different events. First, most likely you moved to one of the latest version from 4376 without resetting. Although not explicitly mentioned it was important to reset due to new drivers. Second the restore of saved setting often can cause (at least here) crashing and hangs if applied not on the same build with which was created.

I know it may be painful but always best to reset when moving up with firmware and manually input your settings.

I have no major issue with 4825 as I did not with 4608. Rock solid, Only a minor problem with WPS that is there since I have this router. i.e. WPS on 5GhZ is ON even if it appears OFF in the GUI. I need to turn ON/OFF WPS every time I reboot the router for the settings to stick.

How did you move to 4608 in the first place? Reset or simple update?

Most probably a concurrency of different events. First, most likely you moved to one of the latest version from 4376 without resetting. Although not explicitly mentioned it was important to reset due to new drivers. Second the restore of saved setting often can cause (at least here) crashing and hangs if applied not on the same build with which was created.

I know it may be painful but always best to reset when moving up with firmware and manually input your settings.
yeah mate, but as I've pointed out to CiscoX already, I understand the risk of upgrading - it was worth a shot as the release notes said specifically it should work (and I do have a lot of settings!)- but even when I DID do a full reset and manual upgrade, the router crashed during the configuration of the guest network. I do think something is broken in this version for some configs; Specifically, this build had changes to 5Ghz networking and to guest networks; It might not be a total coincidence that the router crashed when I enabled a 5Ghz guest network! Let's see what the next build (probably tomorrow if JK is true to form) brings!

I have no major issue with 4825 as I did not with 4608. Rock solid, Only a minor problem with WPS that is there since I have this router. i.e. WPS on 5GhZ is ON even if it appears OFF in the GUI. I need to turn ON/OFF WPS every time I reboot the router for the settings to stick.
Oooh. That's bad. Hadn't noticed! Have you logged a ticket with Asus?

Yeap its a security issue. Nope, I didn't open a ticket for this issue as I found a workaround... may be you can check yourself with a WIFI scanner (e.g. Acrylic WIFI free or similar) if you see the same.

Yeap its a security issue. Nope, I didn't open a ticket for this issue as I found a workaround... may be you can check yourself with a WIFI scanner (e.g. Acrylic WIFI free or similar) if you see the same.

hi fax,
Have you tried to push the WPS button in the front of your router and activate wps on your phone or from other device and see if it ask you to put the code.

I actually used Reaver that is normally the tool to hack routers with WPS turned ON. ;)

I actually used Reaver that is normally the tool to hack routers with WPS turned ON. ;)

wow, and you did gain access to your router 5Ghz band? Even when you disable WPS on your router. I know that the 2.4Ghz are disable but 5Ghz still stay enable. And that's how you get access? Because i pushed the WPS button and didn't get any access at all until i set it to enable.

This HAS to be reported to ASUS

no, didn't test that.. was enough for me to just test if it was visible the WPS... so it still possible that even if visible I would not be able to hack. For me was enough to see if I am exposing myself in any way to the outside world. Turn ON/OFF solves it and since I only reboot when I update the firmware its not a big deal.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!