What's new

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_4950

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

poor_poor

Regular Contributor
RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_4950 - Unofficial beta firmware

Changelog:
Fix: QIS issue
Fix: Media Bridge Mode
Fix: Usb modem
Improve: 5GHz stability connection
Fix: Close Access Intranet can still access the LAN
Fix: Wireless power 5GHz abnormalities could not connect
Fix: User interface language Ukrainian
Fix Aicloud 2.0
Update: Ai Protection Signtaure 1.036

Download: http://goo.gl/GiAyBG

Best regard,
JK

From Hardwarezone
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/i...aylyns-review]-asus-rt-ac87u-4781419-179.html

This version is now official - https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC87U/HelpDesk_Download/

ASUS RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4950
Release note
[Important] Because added the patch for 5GHz, please press and hold the reset button more
than 5 seconds to reset the router after firmware updated to avoid compatibility issue.

- Improved 5GHz stability.
- Fixed the denying intranet access issue in 5GHz guest network.
- Fixed the UI issue when switched to AP mode from media bridge mode.
- Supported ZTE MF193A USB LTE dongle.

MD5: 242fe3dd0acfc7b4e129edd453ccb278

This version is now official - https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC87U/HelpDesk_Download/

Release note
[Important] Because added the patch for 5GHz, please press and hold the reset button more
than 5 seconds to reset the router after firmware updated to avoid compatibility issue.

- Improved 5GHz stability.

MD5: 242fe3dd0acfc7b4e129edd453ccb278
Thanks for the info. Will update this version of firmware tomorrow morning to see if 5G wifi is more stable.

Please find below my test cases until now with the official 4950.

- wan download speed 934Mbs (speedtest.net)
- lan to wifi - 410Mbs (on galaxy s5)
-wifi to synology NAS - 380Mbs
- pc <-> synology NAS,, (windows 8.1 copy test 2Gb file) - 115MBs - cat6 cable
- real download using buildin synology download client - max 42MBs
No more 5Ghz disconnects on my 2 iphones (5 and 5S) and ipad retina. In fact i have no disconnects at all on 5Ghz.

Those are my test cases until now with the official 4950,
Please share yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have just flashed 378.4950 and the initial results are very promising indeed. The GUI loads instantly and refreshes instantly as well. Downloads are as fast as I have ever seen them and web pages load as fast as DD-WRT. This firmware seems like a winner. Asus has even posted the source code already! Wow!

Wow! This firmware is great which explains why they posted it as an official release almost immediately. Here is the SpeedTest result from my Surface Pro 3 surfing wirelessly on my patio a good 40 feet from the router (and through 3 walls and my fireplace).

4260974347.png

changelog say

- Added workaround for iPhone6 wireless unstable issue.

:):):):):):):):):):):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh looks like the reset button for 5 seconds is a hard reset now, it hasn't worked for years in the 68u, and never since i've had the 87u.

Oh looks like the reset button for 5 seconds is a hard reset now, it hasn't worked for years in the 68u, and never since i've had the 87u.
It is a hard reset by pressing reset button for over 5 sec. which is similar to (same?) press WPS button while power on for 30 sec.! After that, the browser will ask you to perform the quick internet settings.

It is a hard reset by pressing reset button for over 5 sec. which is similar to (same?) press WPS button while power on for 30 sec.!

After getting lost with the hard reset button for 20 seconds (pity the clueless consumers) and getting no access, fixed after powering off, hard reset of router and switch, this release is SMOOTH.

Lost the USB 3 drive, but unplugging it and then plugging it back, solved the issue in a flash.

Finally Asus appear to have got most everything right with the official 4950 firmware for the AC-87U/R . Just added another Android tablet and after 9 hours of game playing by our unofficial tester until they killed the battery, no problemo - through 3 floors of reinforced concrete.

Last edited:
What were ASUS' prior defaults for beamforming with the firmwares they released with it enabled? I see explicit and universal beamforming on the 2.4GHz band, and 802.11AC beamforming and universal beamforming on the 5GHz band. Did ASUS have all of these enabled?

I've turned off 5Ghz beamforming again (left 2.4Ghz ON for now).

iDevices, for sure, disconnect in sleep mode.

Edit: seems to be just AC iDevices devices that can't connect in sleep. Older iPads seem fine. Maybe just disabling ac beamforming would work. But I think I'll leave them both off. Not sure they are helping in my situation anyway! 378.4950 without beamforming is close to perfect.

Last edited:
the 5ghz issue with mac still exist on this firmware, worked the first day but the second day browsing the net starting to lag, pages take forever to load, changed to 2.4ghz things start to fly again.

I've turned off 5Ghz beamforming again (left 2.4Ghz ON for now).

iDevices, for sure, disconnect in sleep mode.

Edit: seems to be just AC iDevices devices that can't connect in sleep. Older iPads seem fine. Maybe just disabling ac beamforming would work. But I think I'll leave them both off. Not sure they are helping in my situation anyway! 378.4950 without beamforming is close to perfect.
My iPad Air 2 works fine so far on this new release using 5GHz AC, it did work fine previously on earlier releases but only on 2.4GHz. I just checked it again and it connects fine from sleep and it has been there for some hours. It is early days for me to pronounce all is well with the Air2 on 5GHz AC but so far it is looking just fine.

This may be the first really great release but I guess it is another week or so before I will actually say that. At the moment I'm just hopeful.

Edit: I leave beam forming on.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!