What's new

RT-AC88U losing Internet connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heslo

Regular Contributor
Hey guys, been using Merlin for a while now with no issue however recently I've been having a problem where the router is losing connection to the internet. Seems to be happening at least once a day now. It first started (from memory) with 384.14, I've since upgraded to 384.14_2 and even the 384.15 alpha and come across the same problems. Am I going to need to do a factory reset here and start from scratch? Any advice would be great, I've attached a log as well if that helps.

Thanks!

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    320.5 KB · Views: 269
Just because you've been jumping around different firmware versions, a full reset is necessary IMO. :)

See my signature for the links to the M&M Config and possibly the Nuclear Reset guides to get your network and router back to a good/known state.

Just because you've been jumping around different firmware versions, a full reset is necessary IMO. :)

See my signature for the links to the M&M Config and possibly the Nuclear Reset guides to get your network and router back to a good/known state.

Yep was afraid that might be the case. Unfortunately quite busy with work at the moment so will have to wait a day or two. I'd still love to know what caused this issue, I've run quite a few versions now with absolutely zero issues.

Thank you for the reply though :)

It would be hard to pinpoint the exact cause and it wouldn't matter anyway if you did. The need to do a full M&M Config would be needed 99.99% of the time. :)

This is PPPoE, so check for loss of sync on your modem - a more likely cause than the router itself.

This is PPPoE, so check for loss of sync on your modem - a more likely cause than the router itself.
First thing I've checked every time and seems sync has been fine. I'm sure it will do it today so I'll check again when it happens and report back :)

So, I've gathered some info on this... it happens EXACTLY 24 hours since the router was last power cycled to regain connection again. Definitely has nothing to do with the sync of the modem, that never drops. Very odd issue. I take it I'm gonna have to do a full factory reset/install when I get the chance hey?

@hesio,

How did you come out after factory reset/install? I have a RT-AC88U that routinely drops internet connection according to message my Windows 10 machine OUTLOOK gives (ethernet connected) as well as my 5ghz wifi devices. More of a nuisance than a real problem, but one that I would like to get resolved.

@hesio,

How did you come out after factory reset/install? I have a RT-AC88U that routinely drops internet connection according to message my Windows 10 machine OUTLOOK gives (ethernet connected) as well as my 5ghz wifi devices. More of a nuisance than a real problem, but one that I would like to get resolved.

I never got around to doing it mate; just got so busy with work and didn't have a chance to take the time out to get around to it. That being said, somewhere along the way it stopped and I no longer have the issue. So whether it was my provider end or my end I don't know. I have been taking the updates as they come out so it could have been one of them fixed it. I'm unsure. Sorry to not be of any more help than that

No worries. I will take Merlin's advice and monitor my Cable Modem logs for "loss of synch" as I had not thought to check that.