What's new

RT-AC88U: Missing Channels above 140 in Germany

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheUntouchable

Regular Contributor
Dear guys ;)

I have already done a search on this topic, but I could not find an up-to-date answer to my questions.

I have an open ticket with my seller of a wireless IP camera that the camera will not see my 5GHz network after a firmware update, but if I open a 5GHz hotspot on my smartphone (channel 149) it works.

Now they say that after the firmware update only channels between 36-64 and 149-165 are available, and why I don't manually set the channel of my wireless network to 149 or higher (currently using auto channel 100).

I just took a look at the possible channels in my AC88U, and I can only select channels up to 140. As stated in Wikipedia, channels above 140 should also be available in the EU. Is there a feature missing in my router like TPC or even the U-NII-3 band that prevents me from using these channels?

To be clear I do not want to set my channel manually to get that cam working, as all other devices have no problems. Why the hell do these people remove half of the available channels for 5GHz from their firmware? I just want to give them a clarification why my router cannot use the channels above 140 but my smartphone (P30 Pro) can.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Channels 149-165 are not allowed for WiFi routers in Germany. Those channels are only available to SRD (Short Range Devices) at low power.

Thanks for the clarification, now the Wikipedia page also makes sense with the SRD tag and that my smartphone is able to open a hotspot in this ranges ;) This really helps me a lot!

Last edited: