What's new

RT-AC88U Port Aggregation Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robgold

Occasional Visitor
I just received the RT-AC88U which I have running as an AP. Everything is working fine except I cannot figure out how to enable Link Aggregation feature. I have a managed switch that supports link aggregation that I want to use to run ethernet cables to several devices in my home theater (receiver, TV, Roku, Apple TV, sonos, IP controller). The problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to enable link aggregation on the router. There is no Switch Control tab or any other option in the router's settings page that I can find to enable the feature. Does anyone know if the link aggregation feature is unavailable when the router is in AP mode? If so, is there a workaround? Any help or advise would be appreciated.

I just received the RT-AC88U which I have running as an AP. Everything is working fine except I cannot figure out how to enable Link Aggregation feature

It's an AP as configured... so the switch is not involved for configuration purposes - it's fine as a gigE "dumb" switch, but no additional features like LAGG are available unless it's a Router/AP - then one can twirl the knobs accordingly...

I have a managed switch that supports link aggregation

then why did you need the 88u ?

that I want to use to run ethernet cables to several devices in my home theater (receiver, TV, Roku, Apple TV, sonos, IP controller).

seeing as none of these would need such increased bandwidth what are you really trying to achieve as you have made no mention of a nas with aggregation or a server or the like

Does anyone know if the link aggregation feature is unavailable when the router is in AP mode?
as sfx has suggested above the feature is only available in router mode as its part of the router feature set and switching to AP basically bypasses the router functionality

so explain your setup a bit more and how its all configured as atm you have 2 devices capable of bonding but we are unaware of how the rest of your system access the internet etc and why the need for a managed switch and the 88u

then why did you need the 88u ?

My understanding is that the managed switch alone is not enough. I planned on running two ethenet cables from the aggregated ports on the router to the bonded ports on the switch. With the switch receiving greater throughput, it would provide a more stable source for the devices attached to it.

seeing as none of these would need such increased bandwidth what are you really trying to achieve as you have made no mention of a nas with aggregation or a server or the like

I'm more interested in using the increased bandwidth toprovide more stability and to ensure there is enough bandwith for all of the devices that are simultaneously connected to the switch. I may also try using port aggregation with a server, but that seems pretty simple as long as the server has 2 LACP compliant ports.

as sfx has suggested above the feature is only available in router mode as its part of the router feature set and switching to AP basically bypasses the router functionality

so explain your setup a bit more and how its all configured as atm you have 2 devices capable of bonding but we are unaware of how the rest of your system access the internet etc and why the need for a managed switch and the 88u

Right now, I have the Asus router set up as an AP in my entertainment room. My main router (Fios Quantum) is in the basement and I had ethernet jacks installed in most of the rooms in my house. The Asus is connected to an ethernet jack behind my entertainment center. I disabled the Fios router's wifi and use the Asus and one other strategically located AP to provide wifi throughout my house. I also use the Asus to provide hardwired internet connectivity to my home theater devices. My plan was to take advantage of the link aggregation feature on the Asus to increase total available bandwidth sent to the switch feeding my devices. I recognize that it is probably overkill to have port aggregation to operate my home theater equipment but I was interested in trying it out. It sounds like it won't work in my cinfiguration though.

I recognize that it is probably overkill to have port aggregation to operate my home theater equipment but I was interested in trying it out. It sounds like it won't work in my configuration though.
but the issue here is even if you setup link aggregation your internet bandwidth would not be any more and the wifi even on the 88u or should i say your wireless client devices wont be any faster as they are slower than a single 1gig anyway

the link aggregation on the asus is on its lan ports and is designed to have a nas or similar with bonding as well connected to it and then the other lan ports gain a speed advantage , so enabling them for your requirement will gain very little , if the switch is enabled for bonding you would then have a nas or device with bonding connected to the switch

i really think you purchased the wrong device esp to use as an AP , something like the asus rt-ac68u in ap mode would have been just as good or even a unifi AC AP

You can enable link aggregation in AP/Media Bridge mode but you have to access the page via this link,

http://Router-IP/Advanced_SwitchCtrl_Content.asp

You can see on my screenshots my switch connected to the Media bridge via link aggregation and the switch is reporting this.

Attachments

• link.JPG
    link.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,256
  • switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,207
This is most likely in wrong thread, but, on my 88u the link aggregation causes the router to have work load over 1.20 constantly in the Tools panel. Other end is my synology NAS. As soon as I tunr off link aggregtion on the router, load drops to 0.15. The NAS is idling. No load, no heavy processing, nothing.
Firmware bug? Using 384.9

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!