What's new

RT-AC88u WAN port damaged?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

schreinereiner

New Around Here
Ok, so this is mostly a sanity check for me before I may end up replacing my router. Last week my Arris SB6183 cable modem died after a storm. I'm suspecting a voltage spike traveling on the coax cable may have been the culprit. Well, I got a replacement modem (also SB6183) and hooked it up to my RT-AC88u. Everything appeared to work fine except that the modem would not negotiate a gigabit connection on the WAN port of the RT-AC88u anymore regardless of what I did (it worked fine since December 2015 prior to this event). Connectivity on WAN now always stays at 100 Mbit (confirmed via "Tools" in the Merlin GUI, GB LED indicator on modem ethernet port, and speedtests consistently topping out in the 90-95mbit down range). At this point I'm suspecting there may have been damage to the router WAN port as well when the modem got damaged. All other network ports have no issues establishing gigabit connections on to devices on the home network. Here's what I (unsuccessfully) tried to get the modem and router to play nice.
  • Tried a variety of different Cat 5e and Cat 6 cables between modem and router WAN port
  • Factory reset the router (running the latest stable Merlin build)
  • Flashed the latest Asus firmware build, factory reset again
I'm pretty sure that the modem is ok. I hooked up a RT-AC68 on the latest Merlin build and the SB6183 immediately negotiated a gigabit connection on WAN and speedtests give me the expected ca 230 mbits down I should be getting.

The weird thing is that other than the issue with the WAN port there is no other indication whatsoever that there's anything else wrong with my RT-AC88u. No stability issues, no issues with other features. Other than the CPU being at almost 80 degrees celsius with almost no load - is that normal on the RT-AC88u? It was usually in the 70s before this event as well but the temp always looked high to me. Room temp is in the upper 70s.

Anything else I could still try to resolve this before I deem this an unfixable hardware issue? Any ideas appreciated!

Last edited:
Plug the WAN port of the AC88 into a LAN port on the AC68. If it still doesn't get gigabit then it's screwed.

Thanks for the response. Screwed it is I'm afraid! :(

Check your homeowner's insurance - lightning strikes like this are usually covered, and if it was enough to nuke your CM and Router, other items could be suspect, nudge, nudge...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!